Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New here and searching

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Mike G, Apr 5, 2012.

1. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Mike, glad I read this entire thread. The amount of collective knowledge on this site is staggering. It took less than 2 weeks to get more information that you'd have gotten in two years of searching on your own. And THAT, Rogues, is why this is the best WWII site on the internets.

Otto likes this.
  2. Mike G

Mike G Member

I couldn't agree with you more! This is an awesome forum!

3. Mike G

Mike G Member

Have a little update. I recieved the info from the researcher. He did a great job. He sent 28 pages from the archives in St. Louis. The papers norrowed down my grandfathers company and gave morning reports for them. He was in 1st, 18th infantry, I company. I'm working on something to put on there for you guys cause I thought you would be interested. It gave me enough info to continue my research on my grandfather. First order of business is to figure out the mil. code/lingo.........lmao We were correct in our assumption. My grandfather was sent back to the states after his last wounding and was put in to the MP's at Fort Bragg till he was discharged. He was in the battle taking over Megney. So I'm sure that bridge is something I need to start researching. There are also HILL numbers in which my grandfather and his company attacked. That would also be interesting. But prolly a long shot. Also there is ref. to a map with a map number. That would be cool. The more our family digs its amazing at how many people knew my grandfather and the stuff we are finding out. One of his sisters family members has something that was my grandfathers in WW2 that he has had in a chest since and is sending to my mom. That might be interesting. Boy was the type writers junk back then.......lol

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

It's great to hear the progress you're making, Mike. Thanks for keeping us informed. :)

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

The more you find, the more interesting this becomes. Keep us informed of your progress.

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

DITTO

7. Mike G

Mike G Member

Though you guys might like to see this. This was one of the most interesting parts of what I got. This was the second time he was wounded in Tunisia May 6, 1943.

View attachment 16363

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 and Earthican like this.
  8. Earthican

Earthican Member

Before I was looking at the 1st ID actions on that date. It does not appear to be Terry Allen's finest hour. Your grandfather appears to be in the 1st Battalion.

Attached is a map of the battle area. US troops started on the west side of the valley and attacked the hills on the east side of the valley. Which hill they were driven off is unknown.

US Army Official History

"The 1st Infantry Division's depleted units on 6 May made an aggressive attack against troops of the Luftwaffe Regiment Barenthin in the hills just east of the Tine river, where, in a narrow valley, it flows north beside the Mateur-Chouïgui road. General Bradley at this point expected the division merely to keep the enemy under pressure but General Allen felt that he should resume the drive of 23 April-1May.24 The 18th Infantry, after crossing on two newly prepared bridges, was ordered to attack eastward against a djebel about seven miles southwest of Mateur, with the 26th Infantry on its southern flank. Company H, 1st Armored Regiment, furnished support. The attack opened auspiciously at 0300, but soon ran into difficulties. The 3d Battalion, 18th Infantry, on the left diverged to the northeast from its planned route of approach and lost contact with the 1st Battalion. It was caught on the open plain at daylight near the base of an enemy-occupied hill and subjected to the devastating crossfire of machine guns and mortars. The 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry, was next driven off a hill into the shelter of a wadi where it seemed likely to be cut off. Only four of the tanks which were to furnish support got across the Tine river before the bridge collapsed, forcing the remainder to confine their participation to direct fire. The division's attack became an effort chiefly to extricate the pinned-down elements of the 18th Infantry while avoiding exposure of the 26th Infantry's northern flank, and to hold the enemy where he was. The 26th Infantry pushed two battalions onto foothills, and broke up an enemy counterattack against its 3d Battalion with the aid of the 33d Field Artillery Battalion. General Allen alerted the 2d and 3d Battalions, 16th Infantry, for action in aid of the 18th Infantry, but did not use them, confining the 1st Infantry Division's commitments to troops already in contact with the enemy. In order to protect the division's north flank, he had the 2d Battalion, 16th Infantry, echeloned to the west of the 18th Infantry for greater depth in defense. Darkness permitted the 18th Infantry to pull back. This move in turn necessitated withdrawal by the 26th Infantry. Except for patrols, the 1st Infantry Division broke contact with the enemy and occupied positions on the western bank of the Tine river."

Attached Files:

9. Mike G

Mike G Member

With all the great help you guys gave me. I thought you would be interested in seeing what we came up with. I did hire a guy in St. Louise who did some research for me. Did a great job and sent me a lot of papers. Most importantly they sent us a new set of his metals. Can't express how proud I have of him and so glad I'm old enough to have known him.

Attached Files:

10. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That is a fantastic tribute to him, Mike. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

11. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Everything about this thread is great. Thanks for showing us the fruits of the work done here Mike!

12. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He has that service hat cocked just right in the photo, doesn't he?

13. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Except for not being round ... and white ... it's great.