Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Member -Wireless Intelligence -questions and answers

Discussion in 'Codes, Cyphers & Spies' started by StanAmes, May 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. StanAmes

StanAmes Member

I have finally retired fully and have taken up research into WW2 Wireless Interception and Direction Finding. I'm just old enough to remember being on the receiving end of a V1 and have been interested in radio since I was a schoolboy. I have had a ham radio licence since 1980 and have communicated with ex WW2 wireless intercept operators over the past year. There were a number of Wireless Intercept "Y" stations in my area (near St Albans) and I have spent the past two years poking around amongst the declassified documents at the National Archives.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who was involved with radio in WW2 or who may have questions about the subject. Anyone interested in the subject could make a start by visiting www.secretlisteners.org which covers the Radio Security Service operated by MI6 intercepting Abwehr (German Military Intelligence) control stations and their agents.

I'm in the process of placing copies of the documents I have found on the internet and will let you all know when they are available

Cheers
    Stan

sniper1946 and von Poop like this.
  2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Aye Stan,
    Is that your website?
    Interesting stuff.

Cheers,
    Adam.

3. StanAmes

StanAmes Member

Adam
    Good to hear from you. That one is not my own website but I had a hand in its recent rebuilding. It was set up by veteran WW2 RSS operators. The Direction Finding page is mine but I got my material from Nat Arch and the veterans.

I have put up a trial site on Freewebs that may be of interest, its not limited to RSS and shows some of the declassified documents.

WW2 UK Wireless Intercept Stations

I also have some material located on Google's free space but the URLs are ridiculously long, here's one.

Google Docs

It shows a secret booklet issued by MI5 and circulated to chief constables, Special Branch etc to explain the risks of foreign agents using portable wireless equipment.

I have a couple more folders that may be of interest, let me know.

Cheers

Stan

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Stan, good information you have there.

5. StanAmes

StanAmes Member

JW
    Thanks for your kind words. Do you know of any sites that cover US WW2 wireless intelligence?

Stan

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We have a fair collection of material in the Hyperwar site in my signature below. More in the pipeline, just waiting for volunteers to proof it.

7. StanAmes

StanAmes Member

OpanaPointer
    Many thanks for the Hyperwar links, very detailed and interesting stuff. I have downloaded a document on US Comms intel that I will read with interest.
    Stan

8. revbucky

revbucky Member

Welcome to the forum Stan. I'm looking forward to reading your contributions.

9. OpanaPointer

We have a copy of SRH-024 "Gernan Naval Communications Intelligence" in the queue right now, and "The German Naval Grid and Its Cipher", a tasty bit of fundamental information.

10. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Welcome to WWII Forums, have an informative time Happy posting.

11. StanAmes

StanAmes Member

Revbucky & Spaniard

Many thanks for the warm welcome, it shure is a friendly forum.

Stan

12. StanAmes

StanAmes Member

OpanaPointer
    I will await SRH-024 with interest, thanks for the heads up.
    The US Freedom of Information Act certainly works well on official WW2 documents. I have been going through the Ultra reports on the Hyperwar site. I have some understanding of how our Special Communication Units and Special Liaison Units worked and it was interesting to see US military comments on their activities.

Considering the many thousands of people involved in various parts of the chain, it was amazing that the essential nature of the Ultra secret was kept secure for so long. From all that I have read about him, our best ally in that matter was Admiral Canaris, head of German Military Intel, a Nazi hater who did his best not to help them any more than he had to (until Hitler had him executed).
    Best regards
    Stan

13. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

Welcome Aboard Stan

Thanks for sharing !!!

14. OpanaPointer

If you're interested in proofreading the digitized version I can set you up with what you need. If you want more info on that, send me :cool:a note or post here.