Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New primate with some questions

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Daulton Ruff, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Daulton Ruff

Daulton Ruff New Member

No, it took over a year for him to recover. He suffered from PTSD as expected. I went with him to his doctor appointments up until I was in my early teens. It took that long for the doctors to take him off of phenobarbital. He did go to the VA but I don't think he suffered pain from his primary wound in his hip. He taught himself to walk again with a bounce in his step. He worked hard as a welder He always had a positive friendly attitude and took care of his brothers and sisters. He visited and loved everyone. He even tore down a chimney while remodeling his house, with a broken leg. He was also a carpenter, farmer, rancher kind of guy. We lived in six houses he built and there were more he built before I was born. He was over 70 when he built his last house. At 75 he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and died at 80.
    He was a member of the VFW but I'm sure he probably never heard of a 30th ID reunion. Actually I believe he was one of those casualties who were wounded or killed early because didn't have that much time to acclimate to battle maybe.Standing up on a battle field to pick apples was kind of risky behavior. He must have been hungry. He mentioned having friends killed in street battles, but really he didn't say too much about that. Like I said, he was kind of old to be out there doing that kind of thing. He was proud that he carried the BAR. It was heavier than other weapons, and he was a strong man.

2. Daulton Ruff

Daulton Ruff New Member

Thank you for that. I really don't know those kind of details. I don't know why but I have always thought of him as part of a bazooka team when he was shot. It makes sense because there were so many tanks on the field there.