Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Recuiting?

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by Revere, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Looks like the US Army was taken overby hollywood, actng andeverything.
    http://www4.army.mil/amp/index2.php?vid ... d_key=4364

morerelevent to me because an Army recuiter has called me and is going to talk to me on wednesday, I told him i wasnt really interested in the army but more interested in the marines but he just said the army has more to offer and asked me what I thought about the rangers and Delta, I asked him I thought the US Goverment didnt even admitt Delta exists and he said your asked to join. He was very persistant and when i told him i couldnt have him at my house because my sister issick with lieukimia he said hed pick me up from school and get something to eat. i dont wanna go get anything to eat and im going to see if we can talk in the school. also im only 17.[/i]

2. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Recruiters are the military's version of used car salesmen.

My advice to someone your age is to get into a good civil service job like waterworks, police officer, fire fighter, etc, and go in the National Guard or reserves. The is not great but decent and they usually have good benefits. Plus you get to serve your community and military. You can also go to college while you do this and the NG/Reserves will help pay for it.

Had I done that right out of high school, I could retire with 30 years in and only be 48 years old. I'd have two retirement checks coming in at the same time and be young enough to do something else if I wanted to.

3. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My advice is, if you meet this recruiter, have someone with you that you trust who is a veteran; he'll be a lot more careful with his sales pitch if there is an adult present who knows the score. Also, know ahead of time precisely what it is you want to do in the service, and stick to it. The recruiter will make filling certain high priority slots the first item on the agenda, and he will do everything in his power to talk you into taking one of those slots (that is his job, after all). Also, if you are really more interested in the Marines, go and talk to them first, but take along the trusted adult veteran there, too. The Reserves or National Guard aren't bad options, either; honorable service combined with staying in civilian life as well is the right path for some.

4. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Your recruiters seem incredibly persistant, The ones I've met in Bristol and on one occasion in Gibraltar have tended to be very level headed guys.

But because of the school I go to, to do my A levels the Army assume if I wanted to join then I'll join as an officer.

5. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    The Army has had trouble meeting its recruiting goals for some time, which explains his persistence. There are several reasons for this; the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, plus the media's insistence on covering then as if they were the biggest, bloodiest disasters in US History and the free publicity the antiwar activists are given. The Clinton years also saw the breeding of a new wave of anti-military bias among the nation's public figures and teachers and school administrators at all levels. This has led to the armed forces no longer being seen by many as a desirable (or even honorable) career option. This is unfortunate, because nations that hold their armed forces in contempt tend not to survive, historically speaking.

6. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeh, people at my school put down the army alot its were the "dumb" people go. The people who join the national gaurd from my school almost always are drop outs, and goths. I want Marines because I think I could relate to the people there better, sports people do Marines....

This ones the best.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0

British recruitment videos glorifies battle...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1

The last one shows them partying. compared to US recuitment doesnt even show battles.

Marines have it diffrent tho.

what you think?

Royal Marines

7. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Revere I'd take the free meal :lol:

I heard if you were mean and liked to break things then the marines were for you , lol

In Canada the army does the standards(go to high schools, career fairs, etc)Different slots are available at any time. They call them Hot Jobs. Its not always a combat role, actually.They emphasize trades quite a bit
    However, it seems they do need infantrymen and they do advertise that.

heres our military commercial http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZhGx3AREcw

8. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I talked to him in the school cafeteria, he was kinda upset that I was more interested in the Marines then Army. Hes a pretty nice guy tho the first thing he said to me when he sat down was "what you think of going to basic next summer" so go to basic between Junior and Senior year. I said I would think about it (which was the only way I could say no.)

CSP, The movies the US Gov. make dont mention Iraq or Afghanistan while as the Canadians mention Afghanistan. I wonder why that is.

9. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    I can imagine either one of them, actually Iraq, is what is hurting recruitment. In Canadaian army commercial they show what you can do, and where.

I dont like american military commercials for some reason. Theyre just a lot different from ours.

10. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    Well, there is also the fact that a strong anti-military bias was started in this country during the Clinton presidency, a bias that I am convinced was supported by both Bill and Hillary.

11. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

Since George Washington ,the military has occupied a large part of the republic public life ,
    This thing go by wave and has it's up and down ,
    it of course boil down to budget , the U.S. Army is a very large slice of public spending ,
    after the fall of the U.S.S.R the talk was of peace dividend .
    Clinton wasn't so much anti military He just didn't swallow the patriotic blackmail for more money .
    he balanced the budget , whipping out the deficit , so every spending was put under watch ,including the military who had an existential crisis as what was its proper function , NATO itself didn't know what it was anymore .

12. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    Haha, man, you dont know Canada. We have a lot of people, especially univeristy students and/or urbanites who want us to abondon foreign combat capability or abolish our military alltogether becase we either dont need it or "its being used by the americans on imperialist adventures" yadda yadda.

Our opposition, the liberals, well, a majority of them are against foreign fighting pretty much, just peacekeeping pretty much they like. Our social democrats are anti-offensive combat, so are the greens. So we are left with one party willing to really do foreign combat, which is the conservatives. Our military became a joke on canadian comedy channels. Our military budget went as low as 1.1%GNP. Roughly 6-8 billion dollars a year in the defence budget. This was for a regular force that went from 55,000-58,000 in the 90's, which was from 88,000 in the late 80's. They also cancelled our EH101 helicopter contracts and kept the aging SeaKings, which were also becoming dangerous. There are countless other examples. Our conservatives are putting in the necessary funds to fix it. of course any military spending is seen as "unnecessary" and being "militeristic like the americans". For gods sake some places are taking support the troops decals off public vehicles and a lot of decals are scraped off cars, and theres a group in the east here trying to get businesses to take down support the troops stickers off storefront window.

13. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

Here in Australia we are having some election ,
    the present conservative gov. is looking a paler shade of sick ,
    the Labor has taken great care to said and do nothing which might frighten the public and so far smiling and kissing baby seems to be enough to get them home .
    Not a word on us being in Iraq or Afghanistan ,both parties are burying the issue as too hard to deal with ,
    In fact there isn't a problem with the electorate ,
    we just do it because we have to , with not much illusion as having an happy ending .

14. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I dont want to seem offensive, but I dont know why people in Australia would be all that against the war since there has only been 2 KIA ( according to http://icasualties.org/oif/) I dont know if that is a very reliable source but anther one (quakers) also said it was 2.

15. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    Well, jeaguer, not to put too fine a point on it, but Clinton promised during his campaign that he would reduce the size of the US Government. The only part of it he reduced was the military. He slashed the defense budget through the bone (which was how he "balanced" the budget), and a lot of people who had planned to make the military their career were handed their walking papers; it happened to a good friend of mine, in fact. And he was the most inept commander in chief since LBJ; everything he touched in that role, starting in Somalia, turned into either a disaster or a disgrace. And both he and Hillary are left-wingers who despise the armed forces; the fact that he attempted to use the military as a social laboratory shows his utter contempt for it, IMHO.

16. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
  17. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Clinton also got us into Kosovo and we are still there.

18. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2
    On the subject of casualties , one of them is suspected of playing with loaded guns while drunk like a skunk

the low rate of casualties only prove what a brilliant bunch aussies soldiers are , and how small out commitment really is

as for Kosovo
    Yep and it could very easily turn ugly again ,

The only thing with Balkan politics is .........DON'T GO THERE !!
    those guys have centuries of grudges to pay back with every intentions to do so and it's not a white hats black hats situation either !

Bismark said that the whole area was not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier .

19. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    Christ, tell me about it. The canadian military has set racial quotas and there are different physical standards for men and women. For example, a woman only has to do 9 push-ups, but a male has to do 19. Its ridiculous

20. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    When Clinton was in office, women had to do less physically in boot camp than the men did as well. Fortunately, once Bush was in office, all of the nonsense Clinton had stuck the militaryt with was done away with ASAP.