Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Recuiting?

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by Revere, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    The left here never has a detailed defence policy, especially the social democrats, because it will be to unpopular among to many people. It only says "better living conditions for NCO's" pretty much. Yeah, I've seen anti-clinton sentiments among military characters on the simpsons

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    He'd probably watched GI Jane and felt sorry for her...

3. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That would be his idea of high drama... :roll:

4. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    Probably wanted her inbetween the sheets

5. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Close, but no cigar.....

6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Much of the British forces recruitment advertising these days makes the job look like one big video game - clearly aimed at attracting the nintendo generation - I've often worried that that kind of titilation is a dishonest way of drawing people into such responsible and potentially dangerous jobs - but obviously they've got to get them somehow.

7. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :p

8. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Looks like a movie ad or video game ad.

9. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    They should be as honest as possible about the job and the hazards that go with it.

10. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Before you sign the dotted line read the small print. I may sound a bit cynical on this but you realy need to ralise a few ugly truths and do some fact checking on your own.
    Recruter will promise heaven and the stars just so you would sign that dotted line (he gets a bonus you see). What happens after that it is not his concern. When you sign you became part of the machine known "The birocracy" and someone elses problem/solution and that someone doesn't know what recruter promised. No matter what recruter promised it doesn't count, unless written down as part of the contract (and even then there will be loopholes for them to do with you what they want). I worked in our MoD so i know a bit how the military buirocracy work.

Chances are that with current trends in US military you will end up in war as a grunt. Those trends are mostly outsourcing technical jobs normally done by the military ( mechanic-rapairman, logistics...). As a result they mostly only need fresh bodies for the infantry part of the war, anything else (like tanker...) is a bonus.

You should educate yourself on the subjetc and also inquire about GI bill (it's not what it used to be and what is still promised), benefits (rapidly shrinking in last few years) and VA and their handling of veterans (not too good it seems).
    If after all that you still want to enlist you at least won't be ignorant about your ultimate fate and more importantly about your benefits and which is most important how and when you can claim them.

11. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not true in the US military. No bonus for the recruiter. The enlistee often gets an enlistment bonus with teh amount determined by the need for that particular MOS.

Any sources for this claim? Typically the US military employs 8 or 9 people in support positions for every infantry soldier put in the field.
    That being said if you join the USMC you should be prepared for possible combat since all Marines regardless of their MOS are trained to be infantry and expected to be prepared to perform in that capacity.

One should certainly educate themselves before making a committment however I don't think that veterans benefits have been significantly reduced, as you claim. They seem to me to have gotten better than when I used them quite some time ago. A former active duty person can receive about 37,000 dollars worth of educational assistance over a 36 month period for example.

12. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    Good 'ol Grieg to balance out a conversation :) Smart guy

13. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    True, but lately (as of 2003) they are mostly civilian contractors (KBR... elt, all). Sources? HMMM did you check actions of US administration since 2003?

As of veteran benefits:
    Check this sites:
    http://www.iava.org/

The interview here:
    http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/...s-awol-vets-silenced-marlboro-marine-jobless/
    and check the links

And from:
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Vets-Returning-to-Work.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
    http://kennedy.senate.gov/newsroom/press_release.cfm?id=2d9f4728-1d7e-4fef-82eb-21b95ddde834

http://www.objector.org/before-you-enlist/gi-bill.html

14. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    you do your 4 years you get 37,000-63,000 for collage. plus when you retire when your 40 you get half of your last pay check for the rest of your life. If you save up your money wisely you can retire when you 40.

15. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2

You can post links all day long from people who label themselves objectors, from political opponents of the present administration and from organizations that lobby for increased benefits. They all have their agenda and they all spin the facts to suit their agenda. There are websites out their for every kook or crackpot idea on the planet.

The military has their own agenda and their own spin. Anyone thinking of enlisting should look at the facts and make up their own mind accordingly.

I am a veteran and have utilized veterans benefits myself. I hang out with lots of more current veterans. Anytime you are dealing with the government and large bureaucracies there will be frustrations and lots of red tape. As far as the adequacy of the benefits go you go into it knowing the score up front. Most of the complaints come from National Guard and reservists who knew they didn't qualify for full benefits but would now like to have the rules changed so that they can qualify.
    That's fine with me. If they can make enough waves they might get what they won't. That is how the system works. If they don't succeed, that is okay with me too. They knew the rules, They made their choice. You see, the US does not have compulsory military service. It is all volunteers.

16. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    in ww2 korea and viet nam we had a draft ..now we have a shooting war and no draft , its not supriseing that recruitment is tough ..negative liberal propeganda dosnt help ..the fact is ,numbers of sevicemen being killed now isnt much higher than deaths in the peactime military, from training and off base car accidents ...

17. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    I have an uncle who did that. He spent twenty years in the Navy, retired, and then worked when and if he chose.

18. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I know a marine whos been retired for 3 years now and hes 43, said hes have the best time of his life in the best shape :)

19. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    I don't doubt that one bit. ;)

20. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2