Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New Story/Book SciFi WW2

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by HESH, Oct 28, 2020.

1. HESH

HESH Member

Not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this...
    However,
    For my story (I mentioned it in my first post in new recruits), I keep changing my mind as well... But current idea is;
    3 or more FPVs, switching chapters (like "The Rising Tide" by Jeff Shaara)

It's a sci-fi future story,
    So simple plot for character 1, russian country boy, Nikolai (need surname?) joins ru army, passes training etc... In 2738, primary weap; SVK mod. 36 (modern sks) firing 7.62mm x 43mm, aka 7.62 JK, secondary; 6in dagger, 9mm RKM (modern makarov).
    Fight breaks out in polish border, the rebels, (not just Germans, but I'm going to follow a similar route)

So that's my story so far, I'm open to suggestions for characters etc, I'll try to get some drawings of weapons and clothing, and even surroundings...

Lmk what you think so far,
    Regards,
    HESH

(To mods/admins, this is probably the wrong place for this post so just lmk)

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Wow...700 hundred years into the future...that’s way too far to have an idea of what that looks like...but with things as they are today...there won’t be antique ‘guns’ shooting bullets...the world would be a seriously different place...place today against the 1300s...humanity is the only thing still around.IMO, a good story is where you start and then fill in the details. I haven’t yet heard a good story.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Slug throwers will probably always have a place in warfare, but they might be gyrojet weapons, miniature rail guns, caseless weapons, etc., as well as the slug throwers we have today.

Lasers are nice, but require a lot of power(go fusion), and can be redirected with a simple mirror(BattleTech mirrored armor - good against lasers, poor against slug throwers).

Then there are particle beam weapons which have their own advantages & disadvantages.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Oooh again, not thinking expansively...’slug throwers’ Projectile weapons may still hurt or kill, but they can be negated by superior armour, be it physical or energy...or the target not even being present. Even the time of the energy weapon - as we think of them - may be past in 700 years time. There are literally a thousand ways to generate energy, don’t judge the future by today’s standards or levels of understanding.
    What may be possible in 700 years time may seem like magic to us now.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

CAC likes this.
  6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Sounds like a derivation of the ‘invader’ or ‘colonisation’ theme...particularly the human factions fighting each other and not providing a united front...it happened to the Indians in North America, the South Americans with the Spanish, Africa and even Australia. An old story...and one I’ve seen in SciFi before...

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Of course, since force fields warp time/space/gravity you will not see anything outside of the force field...somehow, you can always see & sense out of these in Sci-fi. Even though the laws of physics should apply in both directions.

But you can never over come "plot", can you.

Also what would happen if a man-sized force field was hit by a house-sized mass.

CAC likes this.
  8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Now you’re thinking...
    Force fields may not warp anything, depending on what that field is...
    If you’re talking about the book then yes story/plot is everything...all else is just ‘skin’ that can be changed back in time, present or future. Star Wars was just a western in disguise for example.
    What would happen? Again depends on the armour/field...Don’t make the mistake of thinking we already know all there is to know about ‘physics’ for a start. Secondly, maybe the field device can absorb the impact and direct the opposite reaction into the ground or back into the projectile itself, again you‘re thinking we already know all there is to know. We are an ingenious bunch us humans, and if we can’t go through, we find a way of going round. OR the house massively over whelms the force field and the target gets squished!
    And the house size is not as important as the mass. Velocity would be a factor also...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  9. Takao

Takao Ace

Star Wars is much more...and older than a mere Western movie. The young buck and old wisened advisor...King Arthur & Merlin. The story is based on the aspects of several very old myths & tales that have been handed down through the ages.

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Indeed you’re right...stolen a bunch of stories running together...none of them original. I think there is some Samurai in there also. My point was that the ‘skin’ can be changed easily, it’s the story that will decide it’s entertainment value. How many stories have people said ‘this is even more true today’? Story telling was once so valued a person could be chosen for a journey on the basis of the stories they knew...or even paid (in food or alcohol) for a story...the names and places scarcely mattered, it was the story that people yearned for.

11. OpanaPointer

There's what, 7(?) basic plots?

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yep...sounds right.

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, it depends are we the human race there anymore :(

Anyway I believe the earth will be much like Alfred Bester´s " The stars my destination". If I had Spielberg´s money I´d make a movie of it.

14. HESH

HESH Member

Hmm interesting suggestions, yes well 700 years into the future is a long time... I was going for something like Horizon Zero Dawn... If you know what I mean...
    I was going to put in Humanoid robots and some "pulse" rifles, but they are in short supply etc...(require lots of power)
    Maybe that should be a part of the plot? Limited power supply...
    So it's mainly older weapons upgraded to be a reasonable comparison...

As for armour I was thinking maybe... Ah I don't know, a couple of new metals? Any ideas for names? Borisim

And I'll go for reasonably conventional vehicles, no space ships just yet... But they could be in development? And then could be added if I were to write more books?

Lmk your thoughts

15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Not only a long time but unnecessary...from the things you want in this story I would go no further than 50-100 years into the future. 100 years time we will have a world government run by one or multiple super computers (don't scoff it will happen) We'll have quality humanoid robots (if that's what we want - the robots don't have to be humanoid with the exception of those working with the elderly or sex bots). I think there will be (far) more energy options in the future not fewer - cold fusion isn't far away either. Solar or photo voltaic materials that can generate power (windows and walls could generate power for example) and many other options also.

Dr Who story Skaro (the home world of the Daleks) - "Skaro was the homeworld of the Thals, of the Kaleds, and infamously, of the Daleks. The latter came to be during the Thousand Year War between the Thals and Kaleds because of the actions of the Kaled scientist Davros. After its devastation and irradiation during this war, Skaro became uninhabitable to humanoids without regular anti-radioactivity drug treatments. Subsequent attacks on the planet caused by the Dalek presence would nearly destroy it. But eventually Skaro was remade by the Daleks and became the centre of the Dalek Empire once more. - WIKI
    This had a situation where there was no support and as their energy weapons malfunctioned they couldn't fix them so went progressively down the line or backwards until they were fighting with .303s and Sten guns against the Daleks energy weapons...just an example.

New metals already exist but are largely secret...we have a layered metal that is thinner than a human hair...it can't be dented by a sledge hammer or bullets...cannot be burnt...one can easily pick it up and scrunch it into a ball, but when you let it go it forms back into it's original shape - for new metals to be useful they must have new "properties" that existing metals don't have. My name is Luke Holden...so how bout Lukanium or Holdanium? : ) New elements may have to be discovered or lab created to make this truly believable IMO. No space ships? Why not? We are beginning to faze out combustion engine cars/vehicles now, and they are becoming self drive also, so I would extrapiliate on that going forward 100 years...Just a start.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  16. HESH

HESH Member

Well I want to go into the future a decent amount, mainly for technology to advance and then revert back... Like a nuclear fallout, but without the nuclear bit... If that makes sense...
    So technology is just lost... That's why I was thinking power is limited... A "energy fallout", maybe too much energy was used for something?

I was thinking more along the lines of each side having similar weapons, so a small number of pulse weapons.

I like the name of Lukanium, now I'll try to get the properties of it, and Borismium works for me...
    So Lukanium will be a lightweight metal similar to aluminum.
    And Borismium will be a heavier metal...

No space ships because... Well as before a "energy fallout". Good points though.

I'll set it for 2198 - Nikolai is born...

17. HESH

HESH Member

As for robots, I was thinking more like military robots, similar to E3N "Ethan" from CoD: Infinite Warfare

18. OpanaPointer

HESH, you might find David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers" books interesting. Drake was a track toad during the Cambodian Incursion, one of the few times US armor was massed and effective -ish in S.E.A.

HESH likes this.
  19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thank you, I love Dr who since 1988.

anyway, laser is not the weapons , say, 700 hundred years from now. We already are getting to the secret of dark matter/ antimatter weapons and flying at least speed ,of light, perhps using black holes to travel to other universes.

According to various statements made by Proton as well as through various other sources, announced by ProtonMail, there is a cloud storage solution called ProtonDrive in development with a planned release date of Q4 2020 and beta release date of Q3 2020.

Proton Technologies - Wikipedia

Weare getting closer to the truth surrounding the human being. There will be guns that kill you to down to atomic level whatever you wear.

20. HESH

HESH Member

So here's a bit of an update,
    Mainly the background...

In 2086 engineers were testing 5 new (frigates) spaceships, these were mainly for transporting cargo, however an incident occurred when 2 of the ships lost all power, they collided and hit a mega power station in germany (location undecided), the mega power station was the mainframe for all power in europe and asia, an overload occured, causing most major power stations to be destroyed, a few are left standing, 1 in siberia, (need other locations).
    Europe plunged into darkness, (not during daylight obviously), and energy is limited for everything.

Then I'll add in the rebels... And obviously info about countries not affected...
    I need locations obviously, and a name and size for the frigates... As well as some properties for the energy...

Next update will either be the rebels or the weapons that nikolai's div has, and who is in it...

Lmk your thoughts,
    Cheers,
    HESH