Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New to DvD War &Western Movies.

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by History-buff1944, Jan 15, 2013.

1. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    New to DvD War & Western Movies of interest.

If your interested, here is a partial list of new War & Western movies to DvD.

The War movies include:

This Land is Mine w/ Maureen O'Hara and Charles Laughton. I watched the clip and it looks and sounds good. Takes place in WWII.

Battle Zone w/ John Hodiak, Stephen McNally and Martin Milner. Takes place during the Korean War. Also, looks and sounds good and they seem to be using correct uniforms and such. Those very familiar with Westerns certainly recognize those who made many Westerns such as Hodiak and McNally.

Triple Cross w/ Yul Brynner, Gert Frobe, Trevor Howard and Christopher Plummer. WWII. Also looked and sounded good.

Hitler w/ Richard Basehart as "Der Fuhrer" Ive seen this movie before and it is an excellent rendition of Basehart playing that maniac.

There are other newly released War Movies but I didnt write down their titles. Same goes for Westerns.

Now the newly released Westerns--most ive seen and are excellent for "B" Weterns. One 2 movie set in particular-ive long for releases of are the William "Wild Bill" Elliott Westerns.

3 movie set featuring George O'Brian. You will recognize him because he was Pop Stazak in: Battleground. His movies are:

The Marshal of Mesa City (ive seen and is an excellent Oater), Legion of the Lawless (another ive seen and if very good) and finally: Triple Justice (one ive not seen but looks good via the clip I watched.

2 movie set of William "Wild Bill" Elliott Westerns. These are:

Fargo. Ive not seen this one yet but the clip I saw looks good. You wioll NOT--be disappointed with any Wild Bill Elliott Western you will see.

The Homesteaders. This one is an excellent "B" Western. Ive seen it and also watched the clip and the transfer uality is superb.

2 Movie set of Wayne Morris Westerns. For those who dont recognize his name--if you have seen the excellent WWI movie: Paths of Glory which also starred Kirk Douglas as Colonel Dax, Ralph Meeker as the Corporal, Wayne Morris was his cowardly Lieutenant. His Westerns are:

The Marksman and The Fighting Lawman. These too looked good from the clips I saw.

2. History-buff1944

via War44
    Just found out that there are quite a few more War and Western titles waiting in the winds on getting to DvD and come from the WB Archives Collection. WB is doing these release for many other studios except for Fox Studios. You will see some from universal, MGM and couple other studios.

Whats important to me--is that several more William "Wild Bill" Elliott Westerns are about to FINALLY become available.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Some great names here Carl, between them they made some superb movies ... Icons, Maureen O'Hara, Charles Laughton, Yul Brynner, Trevor Howard to name just a few ....:thumb:

4. History-buff1944

via War44
    Hi Jim, that they are. Maureen O'Hara has a special place in my heart being she worked with John Wayne on at least 4 great movies but also that she is a true and genuine person--soemthing that is rare in the movie industry. Also, thankfully-she is still alive and doing well. I always had a crush on her as well as on: Olivia de Havilland and Mae West ;-))

Charles Laughton was a great actor and I thought he was great in movies like: Mutiny On the Bounty, Witness For the Prosecution, Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd, and a few others ive have seen him in. Trevor Howard is also another favorite of mine. Yul Brynner--great actor and great voice.

More releases in both the War and Westerns genres:

War:

Red Ball Express w/ Jeff Chandler, Hugh O'Brien, Sidney Poitier, Gregg Palmer and Alex Nicol. Also, the "Garrison's Gorillas Tv series--all 26 episodes--is being released.

Some Western TV series include: 26 Men--which is based on the famed "Arizona Rangers" as well as a few other very rarely seen TV Westerns. One I dont care for that is also being released is: Custer--which ran for about 26 episodes and follows the exploits of General Custer before he was killed by the Sioux Indians at the Little Big Horn. Ive seen a few episodes of that series--and well--its not worth the money.