Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Night Ghost

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Martin Bull, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

I wish I could make my model planes look that good!!!!! Thanks for posting the site Martin.
    I can't wait to read what all Erich finds wrong with it :eek:

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Schnaufer flew this a/c as Kommodore of NJG 4 not 5 !

This was his last Bf 110G-4 and flew only pone mission in it on April 9, 1945 with no success. The werke nummer is incorrect on the article and should be 180560. Interesting too that Schnaufer and his crew had all the victory tallies placed on the fins and when captured several senior RAF officers after looking at the victory tallies commented ! Impossible, just impossible. When Ludwig Meister was captured as well as III./NJG 4 kommandeur he overheard another British officer excalim about Schnaufers score, " This must be Dr. Goebbels machine ! "

by the way the upper grey mottle or solid cast over the nose back on the fuselage spine should be darker.

I love to pick guys stuff apart and now my 30mm mine Geschoss has been expended......
    ;)
    E

4. Martin Bull

:D :D :D ;)

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ok guys I'm ready for another model to proclaim judgement upon ! ;) :D

Seriously the guy did a beautiful job on that Bf 110G-4. Wish I had the modeling skills like him. But where would I put these models in my little office. Something of a curiousity I don't think I have seen more than 2 Ju 88G-6's depicted on Hyperscale and both of them had to have some scratch building done to make them more accurate in look.......ok Martin, seek them out as I am re-arming ;) :eek:

6. Martin Bull

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

No-one escapes my scruitiny ! :D

he really did do a beautiful job on that Dragon kit which is suppose to be THE Ju 88G-6 to have.

First off the spinner colour is incorrect, no a/c has a red based spinner with white tip. and the P in red on the fuselage is incorrect, it would be either black, dark grey, green or possibly a blue for a stab a/c. Not sure about the swastika being outlined in white as it would be solid black on a G-6 variant, but it maybe present if he used a standard kit insturctions /decals with pics attached. Martin can you see the first small letters for the code on the fuselage before the Balkenkreuz ?...... ??+PN.

The camo is always been one of controversy as the a/c RLM 76 was either a helle-bläu or light blue-grey or a white-grey with a bare hint of blue in it. The model is much to grey overall and the upper blotch would actually be a blue-grey violet as seen in a couple of clour pics I own.

treats and let the models come forward to be judged ! ......bah......ok I must run now.....

happy posting all ! ;)

E

8. Martin Bull

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Wow, wonderful work. Bf 110G still looks to grey to me undersides.

Is that yellowish look under mossie a photgraphic blurb Martin or were they a sea grey undersides with a two tone above ?

E

10. Martin Bull

HeHe

For once ( [​IMG] ) I can answer with confidence...he's modelled a Banff Strike Wing aircraft here and it has a Fleet Air Arm / Coastal Strike Wing combination of Dark Sea Grey upper surfaces with 'Sky' ( or 'Duck-Egg') under ( which does tend to have a yellowish hue ). The 'Invasion stripes' are correct as are the 'exposed' unshrouded exhausts and there were various spinner combinations including the DSG seen here.

No, I'll give him high marks for the model - it looks really, really nice ! :cool:

[ 02. March 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin :

that duck egg colour really throws me a curve...why display it ? I could see the scheme being used on anti ship patrols around dusk time with a sunset in view but......?

E

12. Martin Bull

It's not my favourite Mosquito scheme, I must admit, but people seem to have a particular fascination for the 'Banff Strike Wing'... :confused:

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin :

Do you know when the black undersides on Mossie NF's was discontinued ? and replaced by sea-foam grey ? Is this latter colour correct ?

E

14. Martin Bull

When the Mosquito NFmKII was introduced it was painted 'Black (Special Night)' ref RDM2A. This was a very thick paint which reduced the aircraft speed to an appreciable degree and also had a high wear rate.

In Autumn 1942 the RDM2A scheme was replaced with an overall scheme of Medium Sea Grey with a disruptive Dark Green pattern on the upper surfaces, except for the tail fin which remained Medium Sea Grey .

This scheme went through to the type's withdrawal in the 1950's.

( Source : ' The De Havilland Mosquito ' by Richard A Franks )

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

So no blue-grey camo of any sort then on the Mossie intruders ? Why the sea grey on the bottom/undersides ?

E

16. Martin Bull

100 Group Mosquitoes had Medium Sea Grey/Dark Green upper surfaces with oversprayed Night Black on the under-surfaces. There were many 'local variations' for 100 Group aircraft.

This scheme was also used by 24 Squadron NF Mk IIs.

Richard Franks' book has a very good daylight photo of an NFMk30 in the Medium Sea Grey overall with disruptive Dark Green top.

So, no Dark Blue except for photo recon aircraft of both RAF and USAAF....

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Man I am getting confused over this, but it sounds that 100th group had some wild schemes then ? Almost as crazy as the Ju 88G-6 Luftwaffe gruppen where in the line-ups of captured a/c by the RAF and RCAF you can see maybe 6 different camo schemes sometimes even more......good grief !

E