Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

No I.B.D. and No. 1 C.R.U. Algeria 1943

Discussion in 'North Africa: Operation Torch to Surrender of Tuni' started by Allan Mornement, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Allan Mornement

Allan Mornement New Member

My father (and his Company) was posted to 3rd Bn. No 1 I.B.D. at Fort de L'Eau near Algiers on 27th March 1943. By 5th April his address was No. 3 C.R.U. He remained with this group until 20th April when he rejoined 1/6 East Surreys. What were No 1 I.B.D. and No. 3 C.R.U. The I.B.D. War Diaries (National Archives) do not mention 3nd Bn. I.B.D., and I can find no record of a No. 3 C.R.U. Could C.R.U. stand for Corps Reinforcement Unit? If so, who did they report to, and where might I find their records?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Think IBD is Infantry Base Depot, Allan, so you might well be spot on with thinking he was a replacement. I would think either War Diaries, or maybe the General Return on the Strength of the British Army records. That was a weekly/monthly return on the Army's strength and exact locations, and ran until 1947.
    After 1943, I believe it changed from listing units by location to listing them by regiment, but it's a long time since I looked at it.