Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

No Man Is An Island

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Class of '42, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

One of those war movies that pretty much has been forgotten on television over the years. Based on a true story of US Navy Seaman George R. Tweed, who was stationed on Guam as a radio operator but is suddenly thrusted in the war when Japan invades the island shortly after Pearl Harbor. But Tweed, played by Jeffrey Hunter, and a few others refuse to surrender and head into the hills to hold out. You follow them into the jungle trying to survive, while trying to avoid capture with the help of some local natives but knowing the Japanese are on their heels. Found it entertaining, touching and an inspiration in over coming odds during war time. Released in 1962 and filmed entirely in the Philippines and co-stars Marshall Thompson. A lost gem in my book.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    belasar and Otto like this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I thought that it was a great little movie. Much of it was based on actual occurrences too which is interesting, to me anyway.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I recall seeing this one years ago.

It was a bit different from other war films of the day. It was much more driven by characters than battle action, and it put the viewer in the position of hoping the main character avoided combat rather than mix it up with the enemy. The beheading scene being mildly shocking, and was a genuine way to show what the main characters were fighting against. A good watch.

Class of '42 likes this.
  4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...Hunter died from an ''on set explosion'' at the young age of 42....
    ..a very fascinating true story that could have been used to great effect in the movie, but wasn't....
    Jeffrey Hunter - Wikipedia