To improve detection of enemy movements, the range-finding post was backed up by two observation posts located a few kilometres east and west of the battery. Had the batteries been equipped with radar, they would have been highly effective, but, as it was, not one battery in Calvados was so equipped. There were radar stations nearby at Douvres-la-Delivrande, Arromanches and at the Pointe de la Percee, but these stations were not controlled from the sea front and, even if they were able to inform the battery of the co-ordinates of an enemy target, this system turned out to be patently ineffective as the radar station reported first to its superiors. In any case, by the spring of 1944, following intensive Allied bombing raids, the radar stations were no longer operational. On the morning of the D-Day landings, 74 out of the 92 radar stations in Normandy had been put out of action. A German Würzburg radar used for short range air detection To make up for the difficulty of firing at night, the battery was equipped with two powerful 150cm searchlights, one to the east and one to the west of the control bunker which were individually operated from concrete covered installations. These searchlights were particularly vulnerable, however, as one well imagines.