Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Normandy Failure Speech

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Col. Hessler, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Eisenhower had written a speech in advance incase of failure of the Normandy invasion. Thank God he never had to deliver it. It reads as follows:

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

[​IMG]

2. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

I saw a copy of this at the D-Day museum in New Orleans Louisiana a few years ago. They indicated that he was carrying it in his pocket during the invasion and by the date indicated it was written well in advance.

When I first saw it and the information about him carrying it with him I got an impression. Does this sound like something that a man would expect to be found on his person after his death? :(

3. silentmidgetassasin

silentmidgetassasin Member

Interesting. I never knew how short it was, but i guess he wouldn't have had much to say anyways. Thanks for sharing.