Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nukes?

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by AtillatheHun, Mar 10, 2001.

1. AtillatheHun

AtillatheHun Member

Do you think that we should have used our nuclear capabilities against germany?

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It's kind of a moot point since the A-bomb was not invented until after Germany was defeated, but this is a good question. Perhaps this is a topic for the "What if?" forum.

3. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I think that we could have done it. But after Pearl Harbor, the japanese deserved somethin back at them, maybe not the A-bomb since it was so severe, but defintely a punishment for killing thousands. It also sent a message to Germany, we didnt have to bomb them after Japan because they just needed to see what kinda of damage it would have done, and surrendured.

4. Ron

Ron Member

actually it was probably more of a lesson taught to the Russians, showing them we had this super weapon...and that until they had it...they would always be below us force wise. This is because the cold war was already beginning at the end of WW2.
    It didn't show the germans anything but that they were lucky in surredering when they did, being that the bomb was dropped in august 1945... which was after the germans surrendered in may 1945.

5. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Yes your right about that. What I mean was that it showed everyone in the world just how powerful the United States was at the time and how it was becoming very powerful. I think it sent a message to every country in the world.

6. Ron

Ron Member

thats true too...i guess it made you think twice if you wanted to be an enemy of the US!

7. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Do any of you think that if maybe any other countries had created a weapon of mass destruction such as the A-bomb, they would have used it against the US?

8. Ron

Ron Member

well not unless they were provoked in using it...and didn't worry about their own country being blown to smitherines! There would have been a cold war with that country too...just like with russia.
    But no one wants to be responsible for their country being COMLETELY destroyed. All the cold war was was countries that didn't trust each other and didn't want the other to have an upper hand...They were always trying to catch up...or advance beyond the other.

9. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

YEa, that's pretty much the same thing I was thinking of. How did the Cold War end, like which side ended it or was it mutual?

10. Ron

Ron Member

Well...the cold war would have probably continued until SOMETHING made it impossible for the other to catch up...and that's what happened...Basically the US outspent the USSR and the country eventually fell. And then the largest and most poignant example of communism became a democracy.
    But in a way we have a cold war with the whole world... the US is trying to stay the worlds formost superpower.

11. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Who do you think is close behind the US as being the world superpower?

12. Ron

Ron Member

hmmmmmmmmm i'm not too sure about that one my guess would be China or Russia.

13. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Currently, I think that Britain or China are behind.