Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nurse! He's Out of Bed Again!!

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by GRW, Mar 1, 2017.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

My Irish ancestors were all Kings, like everybody's Irish ancestors. On the Father's side they came in through Canada. It is said my [SIZE=11pt]Great Grandmother swam from Cork to Newfoundland with nine children on her back and a rosary clenched in her teeth, cursing the English every stroke of the way, and her pregnant with triplets at the time. Then she raised that whole brood on the only food available in the new world - braised squirrels and coconut milk. Then, scrimping and saving every extra penny from her hard work and toil, she sent each of those kids off to Harvard. Not the college; the small town of Harvard, Newfoundland, where they could catch a bus to Ottawa and seek employment in the pork rendering industry. Eventually the family moved to the US to seek work in the new automotive factories. By 1910, most of them had full sets of teeth.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=11pt]My mother's people were Scots/Irish. We don't talk about them much because they are Protestants. However, they were prolific breeders and were cousins to most people in the Appalachians by the 3rd generation, and still continued to breed prolifically. It is said you can't throw a rock into a trailer park in West Virginia without hitting one of my relatives. They also ate a lot of squirrels when they weren't busy distilling whiskey through old car radiators. [/SIZE]

Slipdigit, GRW, Otto and 1 other person like this.
  2. lwd

lwd Ace

My mothers family are Shaws. Family "history" up until recently was that they were from the highland Shaws (as opposed to the lowland or English people with that last name). Recently one of my cousins (my mother's brother's son) did the Y DNA testing thing. The evidence was conclusive that our branch of the Shaws descended from one of the three major branches of the O'Sheas. Now whether the Shaw came from a name change, adoption into the highland clan (they apparently did this fairly frequently), or a somewhat less savory event is an open question at this time.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Amazing what you can get through the family tree. A branch of dad's side- the Laperes- were originally Huguenots from Flanders. That was a family folk legend until about eight years ago, when my ex-wife managed to find a mention of them as fisherman in a wee village in Fife in 1703. Then I managed to get a photocopy of my great grandad's great grandad's wedding proclamation from 1798 a few villages along the coast. Managed to trace the rest of them quite easily after that.

4. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

This man appears to be the most dangerous kind of nutter - an obsessive litigious American.

According to today's Times he has a history of making legal claims. 400m acres in America and he has been pursuing a British baron for his estate.

5. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

He also looks to weigh about 400lbs. Clearly he likes 'feasting'.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Henry IX?

7. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Member

How about a ............ Referendum ??

We seem to have them on everything else

TD

8. lwd

lwd Ace

Wonder what court he think he can find that will accept the case. I'm pretty sure no US court would accept jurisdiction. US law doesn't address the inheritance of titles.

Under UK law they've altered the line of succession a number of times for various reasons and he wouldn't be in it in any case. Wales was conquered by England and the Welsh royal line replaced by an English one ... all quite legal at the time. I'm pretty sure that under Irish law the first born or even direct decedent's of the king weren't guaranteed the crown either (a council basically chose from a group of acceptable candidates), again I suspect Welsh law was similar. I'm not sure he'd want to be king under the old Gallic system either. From what I recall if things weren't going right the king was considered the ideal sacrifice to improve the situation.

*** edit for ***
    found some links on it. First the Irish/Scottish system:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanistry
    and this one suggests that the Welsh had a similar system. If one wants to buy a copy it might have more details:
    http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1093/acprof:eek:so/9780198217312.003.0011
    I think this is anther link to the above:
    http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:eek:so/9780198217312.001.0001/acprof-9780198217312-chapter-11
    This one goes into more detail on the Welsh system. Apparently there it was the king rather than a council that chose but being first born or even a son of the king didn't guarantee the crown if I'm reading it right:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=AK_yn7Q3_x0C&pg=PA330&lpg=PA330&dq=kingship+wales+succession&source=bl&ots=16-S4LiSI6&sig=w9kriI6rADkJAG4lAVYgyvagHS4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIybHzubjSAhXELSYKHYliB8MQ6AEIQTAI#v=onepage&q=kingship%20wales%20succession&f=false
    This one says rather the same and points out the supremacy of the "King in London" over the "King in Wales" although that likely dates from Roman times.
    http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/econ/ugcm/3ll3/ellis/WelshTribalLaw01.pdf

9. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Bloody colonials; coming over here, taking our monarchy....

10. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Please take our monarchy and all of the House of Lords. I am sure that there is room in the Trump resort in Florida where they could warm their old bones. I will have to think about what we want in return.

11. OpanaPointer

How about New Jersey?

12. toki2

toki2 Active Member

I am suspicious. What is bad about New Jersey? The cards are still on table so we can negotiate. We will throw in the crown jewels and let Trump 'modernise' all the royal palaces. Trump Buckingham Hotel would go down well with the natives.

13. OpanaPointer

Look up "The Jersey Devil".

14. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    He has to get through customs first we do not let just anyone in you know. Well we do really but keep it to yourself.

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

He's lost a lot of weight since that picture...