Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Obituaries

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Kai-Petri, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This really makes me sad, Rest in peace Sir.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Isn't it amazing how opportunistic criminals can be? I wonder what the stolen car ratio was that evening vs. the burglary rate. Don't break into a house, everybody is home, steal their car they aren't paying attention!

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Another sad loss.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Be at peace, Mr. Armstrong. :S!

[video=youtube;RMINSD7MmT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4[/video]

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

6. texson66

texson66 Ace

Years before Apollo landed that night in 1969, a young 5 year (me) begged his Dad to go see "Destination Moon" at the local Paramount Theater in West Texas. Well, we got there and saw the movie. For me, it set a life long course into the physical sciences and ultimately work at NASA on weather satellites as well as military space technology.

As we left the theater, we turned the corner to see a beautiful West Texas sunset in progress. I asked my Dad when will we fly to the moon? He stared at the sunset as we walked to the car. "Not in my lifetime, son".

Years later on that night of Neal Armstrong's landing, I called to remind my Dad of his prediction. He said, "Well, I'm glad I was wrong!"

RIP Neal and thanks for the all the sacrifice, blood , sweat and tears that went into your career for the human race. You will always be long remembered and never forgotten.

brndirt1 likes this.
  7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

8. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah Digger...2 more dead, i think in a seperate incident (read: Murder).

If the link doesnt work, just type in: NT News

10. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

The other two died in a Helicopter crash though it appears more of an accident as there was no reported enemy fire (Flying chopper's in Afghanistan is very difficult due to the hill's and how the wind get's in them.

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Great 'toon remembering the "good old days?"

[​IMG]

13. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Tranquil

Rest In Peace Neil. And Pete Conrad; Alan Shepard; James Irwin; Jack Swigert; Stu Roosa; Ron Evans; Virgil Grissom; Ed White; Roger Chaffee;

14. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

Thats Just Sad The Families Of Those Soldiers Must Be Stricken With Grief Right About Now

15. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

very sad indeed he was truly a pioneer for space missions
    rest in peace sir you will be sadly missed

16. TD-Tommy776

Andy Williams dies at age 84

His variety show was a TV staple of my youth along with Dean Martin and Carol Burnett. In the late 1990s, I went to Branson with some family members and saw him perform at his Moon River Theater. At the beginning of the last song, one of the ushers asked us to follow him. We ended up backstage and were directed through a door with his name and a star. We went inside and it was like walking into someone's home. On our left, there was a grand piano with his 3 Emmy Awards. The walls were covered with beautiful woodwork and to the right there was a fireplace blazing surrounded by a sofa and matching chairs. On the far side of the room, a door opened and out walked Andy Williams. We were all at a loss as to what to say. Fortunately, Mr. Williams was incredibly kind and gracious as he introduced us to him. :D We ended up getting our picture taken with him before we left. He really couldn't have been any nicer.

Now he croons with the angels. :(

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Excellent bit Tommy. Thanks for that.

18. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I met him last Spring at a book signing in Grand Rapids. My wife couldn't make it so I was her stand-in. I agree Tommy, he was a genuine nice guy. I didn't get to spend much time but when I told him my wife was born in Ames Iowa (so was his Dad & Brother) he really started talking about growing up in Iowa. He looked kind of frail then and now I understand why.

19. TD-Tommy776

Thanks guys. To add a bit to the story, my mother had the photo made into 3 8x10s and mailed them to the Moon River Theater. Mr. Williams signed them with a very nice message that I don't recall off hand.

To this day, we are still not sure why we were pulled from the audience. My favorite explanation is that, when my mother picked up the tickets at Will Call, she told the attendant that she wanted to be sure we would see Mr. Williams. My mother is a worrier and wanted to make sure that Mr. Williams was actually performing that night. The theoretical part is assuming that the attendant thought she was asking to meet Mr. Williams. Regardless of how it happened, it was a great experience.

20. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Ah yes! I had forgotten about the good ol' "Andy Williams Show" we used to watch on the telly in England. Andy wasn't just a Star of Stage and small screen, he was a genuinely funny target for quite a few British comedians of the day. Benny Hill, Morecombe and Wise, and The Two Ronnies all did parodies of his act. People like Benny hill used to leave us all on the floor, sometimes literally holding our sides, with his show business impressions. Nana Miskouri was another favourite of his.

Ahhhh....English television in the seventies was so entertaining. Sunday roast with Yorkshire pud and gravy, settle back at midday to watch Brian Moore and "The Big Match". Good old Andy used to come along sometime in the afternoon after the football. Wonderful days! Television HAD to be good back then, there were so few channels, and the BBC used to take their complaints from the public very seriously in those days. You couldn't have taxpayers money wasted on inferior products, after all! Single channels used to command audiences of many millions at a time. British television was a superior product to it's American cousin in so many field, comedy, journalism, childrens programming, late night TV etc. English historical television documentaries were the most authoritive and thoroughly researched. The BBC used to take public education SERIOUSLY and make every effort to portray history in the most up to date manner.

Fond memories from me, anyway.