Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Still have over two feet of ice on the lake ! With a foot of snow on top of that. Comfortable fishing yesterday = one Bass, bunch of panfish. 33 high. Today low 50's ?? ice fishing in t-shirt weather. Next week will be interesting, slush, foggy mornings and might just be the beginning of Maple syrup SEASON !

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Have this beautiful woodpecker around. We had some super cold conditions a few weeks back, and figure the 'pecker was trying to get warm by roosting atop my chimney...

Would hear- tap tap tap reverberate in the house...
    Took a while- but figured out it was coming from the chimney.

Went out in the freezing cold to see the little bugger up there. Guessing he was pecking the grout for his gut.

It was so cold, took a long time to form a snowball that i threw to scare away. Make another one (hands frozen now)- missed...So i started grabbing frozen crab apples off the tree. Bird finally got the message and flew off, only to return several days. Rinse and repeat.

Figure i saved stupid 'peckers life once before...Woke up to a persistent thudding sound. Talking 30-40 minutes.
    Finally go outside and look over fence. There is woody - sitting on the clothesline, looking at its reflection in the nearby window. Obviously stressed out, breathing heavily. It would throw itself at the window, back to perch. Again and again. ..Grabbed a handful of trusty crab apples and threw at woody. He got scared and flew away. Bird brain.

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Y'all fish in those little fishing villages on the lake, in huts like on "Grumpy Old Men"?

4. Biak

Not this grumpy old man. Too danged crowded and noisy.

Cousin in International Falls likes to pony up the big bucks for a day of fishin in the pop-up shanty towns. Then again he also likes driving his pickup truck 60mph over the lake and slide the final mile before his spot on the ice. Figure it cost him not much more than $22.50 per fish.

I prefer a leisurely snowmobile ride through the forest or down the yard to the lake while watching the Eagles soaring overhead.

Fish HAVE been known to end up under more than a few backseat !

5. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Since the early 70's to so many other movies and tv series, up to yesterday when i watched The Glass House (2001.) I kept seeing the same fresh young face. i of course know helen hunt. but i keep seeing the same young face and i thought it has to be at least two women. The same young face since the 1970's. It kinda felt creepy. Well it turns out there's just two of them: Helen Hunt and Leelee Sobieski.

swiss family robinson (1974)
    [​IMG]

as good as it gets (19970
    [​IMG]

88 minutes (2007)
    [​IMG]

the glass house (2001)
    [​IMG]

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Near 70 here today. Went to the driving range. Hallelujah!

7. Biak

Gee thanks for that Lou. We still have quite a bit of snow and 20 plus inches of ice on the lake.
    BUT it's been warm here too! Nearly 50 yesterday and now it's pouring rain. Which will confine me to the property since snow packed driveway, rain, the resulting layer of water/slush/ice and three hills between us and the highway ain't fun.

Cousin in Illinois sent me one of those "wish you were here" texts telling me it was much the same as what you have, 70's. And tells me the golf courses are opening up.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

No problem. Always looking to help.

9. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SmZlg5KMRs

10. Biak

Okay so it's been nearly a year since I've wanted to share? Nothing much worth passing on I guess. Then again this past year has not been one too many would agree has been a 'normal' calendar. Heck, check the Stump, it has pretty much gone dark too.

I will note I fired up a cigar last week and not to say it is cold up here, but the spark from the Zippo flew from the flint to the wick in slow motion! And it took five minutes for the flame to thaw out.
    The weatherman was excited we 'might' see 20 degrees this weekend. When the locals get excited at double digits above zero you know it's been cold.

Half Track likes this.
  11. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Chill factor of -10° here in south central Pa. for the next two nights. Wind gusts of 40mph. The high during the day in the teens until Sunday. Should warm up a bit for next week. At least my garage is insulated, makes it easier on the RAV4 Hybrid. On nights like we are about to have, the temperature in the garage usually bottoms out around 42°. No snow at least, from this latest coastal storm. We are too far to the west and it missed us. Maybe I can get the chihuahua out for a walk again next week.

[​IMG]

12. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Is that the Bark VI attack chihuahua?

13. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

She is friendly with most people but does not like small children touching her, not that she bites, but she backs up and shows her teeth. Who knows what she is thinking. I got her at 10 weeks old in September of 2010. Her two sisters were short haired chihuahuas. Overall, she is a nice little dog, but is not as friendly as the Jack Russell Terrier that I had before her. However, it is not uncommon for some chihuahuas to have a mean streak. Overall, she loves people, especially the neighbors and our relatives.

14. Biak

Daughter was here for Christmas and brought her nine year old chihuahua. He's a rescue from their local shelter that they've had almost a year now. He did not care for the one day he got to go outside. He was wearing(?) a sherpa vest with fleece lining and tip-toeing around for about two minutes before heading for the door. A foot of snow and 2 above zero was too much for a short haired ten pound pup called Caesar. Our dog on the other hand likes to curl up on the four foot tall border of snow along the driveway in a snow storm and take a nap.

15. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Speaking of daughters, ours up and moved to Nebraska this FaLL. Normally sensible us decided to spend Christmas in the Great Plains instead of moderate Alabama! Low was - 10 F, the high was 25 F. Worst the damn Yankees let some cold air great us on our return! She got her dozen chickens, three ducks and two dogs moved and has ordered 25 bee boxes to go on her 10 acre "farm". Too cold for me. Now waiting for spring! :):

JJWilson, Half Track and Biak like this.
  16. Biak

I heard a rumor it snowed in Alabama recently.

17. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I have you all beat. Its currently -35F (-30C) here, with up to -40F (aka -40C!) forecast for tomorrow night. Diesels are having a lot of trouble starting...

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

It'll be 95 f here in Darwin tomorrow...95% humidity...can I have some snow pleeeeeease!? Monsoon trough is about to drop so some rain soon at least...

19. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

My hillbilly cousins want to know if I can house their snakes until this cold snap is over. Forty-seven poisonous reptiles.

George Patton and CAC like this.
  20. Biak

George still has the lead. Or the bottom ?? Man I'd like to be there when you start them ALL up. In this cold weather sound carries like crazy and it'd be like an invasion force ramping up.

We only made it down to minus 28F this morning. Nearly -14 now at noon.