Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Some feel chest pain for some weeks, some go home in two weeks wondering if they did anything at all.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Soccer. The last day for transfers.
    1. Kylian Mbappe from PSG to Real Madrid & Jesse Lingard from Man Utd to West Ham are possible deals

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The ANZUS treaty does not make Australia safer. Rather, it fuels a fear of perpetual military threat - ABC News

[​IMG]

Surprise surprise...this bloke wants to sell a book.
    I don't agree with a lot of what this bloke has to say. The ANZUS pact only guarantees that Australia and the US come together to "discuss" a common threat, it has never guarantied a mutual assistance. Australia has always responded to US request for assistance so one can forgive the misconception *. Ever since WW2 Australia has been forced to recognise the size and desirability of Australia and our small population. We had a "populate or perish" policy designed specifically to increase our population from 7 million in 1940 to 25 million 2021. The perpetual threat exists and is more imminent now than ever with China becoming a global super power for the first time in history.

This article also suggests we threaten neighbours into good behaviour, which is completely false. We DO have a healthy foreign aid policy and one which is being strengthened as China tries to win over the Asia Pacific nations with money and false promises. Our policies have never been about racism, rather an understanding that our neighbours see the world differently to us. (Due to culture and religion). History (not a hack author) tells the real story. Peace and prosperity to the entire region for many decades, due to the region knowing Australia will not tolerate despots or countries that refuse to follow the rule of law. Diplomacy has ALWAYS been Australia's way in the region and we are particularly experienced and skilled at it.

* - The US has responded to Australia's request for possible assistance during the East Timor emancipation mission. Fortunately the US was not needed.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A running story in Australia of a three year old boy missing for 4 days...the mother was devo (devastated) and the father "hanging on by a thread" and were sure he'd been abducted. Well he was just found and i posted this so you could see the reaction from the family when the news that hes been found safe comes over the hand held.
    It only goes for a minute.
    Prodigal son returns...

Scenes of joy as missing 3yo boy found after four days - ABC News

Biak and Half Track like this.
  5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

6. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

OpanaPointer likes this.
  7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Half Track likes this.
  8. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

FYI Two cases of beer fit a 120mm mortar can.

IMG_2249.jpg IMG_2248.jpg

OpanaPointer and Half Track like this.
  9. Biak

These are the stories we need right now !

THANKS CAC !

OpanaPointer and CAC like this.
  10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yes...he was found sitting in a small creek washing his face and drinking...he is autistic and non verbal and yet managed to survive unscathed in the bush for three nights...its still freezing in the mornings down south with morning frosts...so what a little champion...hes being called "the little bushman"... :)

OpanaPointer and Half Track like this.
  11. Biak

Yep, I read the link. Damn sinuses started to kick up a bit.

OpanaPointer, Half Track and CAC like this.
  12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Europe Retains Solheim Cup With Second-Ever Win on U.S. Soil

Europe Retains Solheim Cup With Second-Ever Win in U.S.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Europe retained the Solheim Cup on Monday, clinching just its second victory on U.S. soil when Matilda Castren closed out Lizette Salas 1 up to give the visitors the decisive point in a 15-13 victory.

“It’s just crazy, crazy,” said the 26-year-old who became eligible to make the team only after winning an event in her native Finland in July.

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Footage of last-known surviving Tasmanian tiger remastered and released in 4K colour

Footage of last-known surviving Tasmanian tiger remastered and released in 4K colour - ABC News

[​IMG]
    The thylacine is an extinct carnivorous marsupial that was native to the Australian mainland and the islands of Tasmania and New Guinea. It was the largest known carnivorous marsupial in the world prior to its extinction, evolving about 2 million years ago. The last known live animal was captured in 1930 in Tasmania.

This is not a dog, but a marsupial. It filled the "dog" niche, as marsupials filled all the gaps due to being cut off from other land masses. There is even a marsupial "cat"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A marsupial is any of more than 250 species belonging to the infraclass Metatheria, which is sometimes called Marsupialia. The mammalian group is characterized by premature birth and continued development of the newborn while attached to the nipples on the mother's lower belly.

An opossum is a marsupial...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

On April 28, 1923, Second Division West Ham United faced top-flight Bolton Wanderers in the first ever FA Cup final to take place at the new Wembley Stadium, and such was the clamour to see the game that a mounted police officer had to keep the crowd from spilling onto the pitch; meaning this would forever be known as the “White Horse Final.”

Originally designed to hold 125,000 people it’s thought that more like 300,000 people were in or around the ground that day but by the time kick off came around there was no way the game could go ahead.

That is soccer....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half Track likes this.
  15. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Did you ever see so many people wearing hats?

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hats were a staple throughout the Western world up to the 1930s...It was the up take of cars with rooves that began the steady decline, as the number of people owning cars went up, the hat wearing went down...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course in a place like Australia that gets more sun than even Africa, hats never really went away.

Can you count the Akubras?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my Akubra...the style called "the Territory"...i had seven skin cancers taken off my face a couple of years ago, so i wear it everyday, and it has meant zero skin cancers.
    [​IMG]

They are compulsory in most Australian primary schools...
    [​IMG]

And of course, still worn in the Military...

[​IMG]

Everyone is getting into the act... Monty with an Australian slouch hat.

[​IMG]

LIEUTENANT GENERAL B.L. MONTGOMERY WEARING AN AUSTRALIAN SLOUCH HAT WHICH WAS PRESENTED TO HIM ON 1942-08-14 AT 24TH BRIGADE HEADQUARTERS, 9TH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, NEAR EL ALAMEIN. THE UNIT BADGES WERE ADDED BY THE GENERAL LATER.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Half Track likes this.
  17. Biak

Funny someone mentioned hats. I never go outside without one. My daughter and family were here over the Labor Day weekend and the 15 year old grandson borrowed my Stetson crusher wool hat so he could fish in the rain. He really liked it so, ...... I'm now looking for a replacement.
    Not to worry though I've got three more wide brim hats and a couple dozen 'ball cap' style in the closet.

Half Track and CAC like this.
  18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Show us your hat!

19. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

A7EE8DF6-121B-4F15-9879-DD9DF1C014FF.jpeg 713FF554-4B16-4CB5-A821-EC7D4D9C4AB1.jpeg

Kai-Petri, CAC and Biak like this.
  20. Biak

The one my grandson absconded with looks very similar to your Akubra. Just a bit more beat up ! Bought it in Yellowstone National Park several years ago. End of season sale when we were there so got it for cheap = $30.00 !
    I'll see if I can crawl upstairs to the computer and find a few pictures.

Half Track and CAC like this.