Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oh nothing really just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Well why don't we get back to the basics !

upload_2021-10-28_19-32-59.png
    In the 1950s, the U.S. Army tried to create a one-man “personal helicopter” called the Aerocycle.

• The Aerocycle was intended to be operated by someone with a just 20 minutes of instruction
    • It was to be steered by shifting your weight
    • The plan was to use the copter as a reconnaissance machine
    • The aircraft proved to be too difficult to control and after two crashes, the project was abandoned

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

"Back in my day..!"
    I remember seeing this 30 years ago and thinking what a glorious target this would have made...
    Todays version has a computer controlling the hard stuff...fly by wire. And a comfy seat...for any real recon (IMO) these have to be very quiet...

Biak likes this.
  3. Biak

Ha! I Remember seeing this nearly 60! years ago! Popular Mechanics magazine.
    I think one purpose was to get troops to forward areas quickly. Terrain would be negated.

CAC likes this.
  4. Biak

Since I'm on a nostalgia kick;

Login • Instagram

Well that didn't work as planned. Walter Cronkite showing 1950's tech.

CAC likes this.
  5. Biak

Oh damn the Falcons are flying gotta go !!!

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The Last King of Scotland is a 2006 British historical drama film directed by Kevin Macdonald from a screenplay by Peter Morgan and Jeremy Brock. Based on Giles Foden's 1998 novel of the same name, it depicts the dictatorship of Ugandan President Idi Amin, played by Forest Whitaker, through the perspective of a fictional Scottish doctor played by James McAvoy. The title of the film refers to Amin's claim of being the King of Scotland.

The Last King of Scotland (film) - Wikipedia

Oh well, you can be the king of whatever but interesting that Idi chose Scotland.....

7. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Been an interesting week, been going down and watching the cable tv, usually have the sliding door open for fresh air. Been hearing commercial jets flying over a lot haven't heard them since the covid flight restrictions guess there finally getting flights back toward normal but the news said the industry lost billions just this year and probably won't be back to normal till like 2025. A number of businesses have failed or had to reduce to stay afloat. The frys near us closed not sure why they use to be usually fairly busy when I would go there, I sure spent a lot there loved getting my cat cable when it was only like 30 bucks per thousand foot bulk. Should have kept a stock of it then it shot up in price when they started to go to cat6 and most of the manufacturers dropped cat5. Although a lot of other countries had already started using cat7 each time the twist ratio changes and it increases the electron flow increasing speed. Now we have what 6g what next 7/8/9/10g. Hmmm, ran out of modeling putty I was using squadron putty green but I've used auto spot putty seems to work pretty well and easier to find as there are far more auto parts stores than hobby shops. Sad I remember when I was even in Jr college there were bunches near me like at least six now all gone all closed because interests in model building has really fallen. When my nephews get a little older a year or two I hope I can get them interested in modeling I've enjoyed it since I was five when a relative bought me my first model I built mainly 48 scale then then later 32 then 72 then by Jr college I was collecting 144 and 700 ships. Back then there wasn't a lot of aircraft and no vehicles then the whole 144 market took off and China and Japan were both cranking out new stuff and revell Germany came out with a bunch of highly detailed kits like detailed cockpits and helicopter kits with full interior building one of my ch 53s was hoping to get an azoria hummvee kit but could never get one the mail order sites would get sold out fast it was the most detailed kit in 144 and had an interior not a solid cast like most others. I'm disappointed azoria has never released or come out with other variations like there were so many stretched beds, command , ambulance, different patrol versions. Hopefully maybe they show up again or some company will do a similar kit.

8. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah cross country moto, motocross is dangerous we have them here although over the years the races have gotten fewer in the states with conservationist sueing for protection of the wilderness and such. I remember when I was in middle and high school I use to go out with a friend of mine and help pit have water spare goggles and gas. One a California city to Vegas race/ state line they were supposed to have a thousand racers but they stupid guys putting up the race got greedy and kept taking entries till the had two thousand so they did two starts but they didn't really have enough trail markers the first wave knocked a lot of them down the second wave lots got lost one guy got killed going over a mound that was a mine vent and fell a hundred feet to his death when they even passed out fliers saying don't go over mounds as the can be mine shafts. Another guy got lost and went off a cliff. Anyway the state got involved they citied the racing sponsors for not doing a better job in running the race and having gone double what they had applied and advertised the number for the race. That night at the finish a bunch of riders took a bearing from the line and lights out in the darkness saying each light was a stranded rider first light rescue riders took off to help the stranded riders my buddy said his group found a guy half frozen holding a dead rabbit. The guy managed to kill a rabbit with the intentions of roasting it but couldn't get his fire started. My fried and his group had a survival kit taped to their bikes matches and flares said if the matches failed the flares would get a fire going. And the would carry twenty bucks one moto lye group had a 6x6 wth a small crane if you broke down and they came upon you they'd pick you up and your bike for twenty bucks. However from all the fires I saw that night the retrieval vehicles missed a lot of people I thought it was crazy all the lights I saw scattered all over out there a lot of racers also complained about the poor trail marking that caused so many riders to get lost. This was back in the mid 70s and there was a lot of negative stuff in the papers about the race and of course the conservationists were up in arms protesting how the moto roses did too much damage to the natural environment. I'm not even sure if they do many races anymore back then there use to be server all every year and I would go with my buddy and we would also camp out and bbq it was fun days. Lol built an este rocket model it went up but must have either loaded the chute wrong or the deployment charge failed but never say a chute searched for a couple days but never found it. It was made to resemble a jayhawk but I didn't paint it to any of the recommended military colors but in gold and silver. Looked great should have tsken pics before I shot it off. Este model rockets are ok but those guys that build real minature rockets are really kewl had a friend that did that said it was expensive and time consuming, wanted to build a rocket using the maverick missile as his design in half scale saw a launch of a model of the Saturn five Apollo rocket it was huge and blew up seconds after launch one of the reasons they have meets out in the desert or large open farm areas. I might get back into it one day but I'd like to build a rocket like the old 50s scifi movies like when worlds collide looked the same as the one in twenty million miles to earth or the one in It terror from beyond space basically when Hollywood thought rockets had to be aerodynamic. Not like later movies were they look like buildings now. Lol been taking to my nephew about building a mini tank for the boys been looking at plans and vids on YouTube but I don't want it to get too involved or pricey as the boys will quickly grow out of it I was thinking plywood construction to keep costs down as plate steel is expensive and I would need to weld it and never completed my welding class.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    CAC likes this.
  9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

What's the max height you can fly?

CAC likes this.
  10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I think about 1200f...hard to say. It has a safety chute if the motor concks out. Only weighs 86kg...flies 60 plus mph. These are still early days though... i would expect probably ten years before this tech becomes mature.

"What the chosen will get is a bill for $92,000 and a kit that requires some not very taxing assembly to become a roughly 190-pound machine with eight rotors and fly-by-wire aeronautics. It has a maximum capacity of 210 pounds, but it can fly even if one motor fails. Other safety features include an aluminum frame with crumble zones, a ballistic parachute and obstacle avoidance lidar.

Once airborne, the One has a top speed of 63 mph with a range of roughly 20 minutes—or 20 miles. It can ascend at 25 feet per second, but Ternström assumes most of the flight time will occur between 15 and 30 feet off the ground."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    OpanaPointer likes this.
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

How would these go on top of buildings as escape pods? Designed to just take off to a designated point away from the building...landing on the ground or another rooftop, then travel back to the stricken building to pickup more people. Good for tall condos...They wouldnt have to be as sexy as this just a flying pod. I would want the blades to be ringed for safety and the arms foldable for storage.
    Good for:
    Cattle mustering.
    Ship to ship transfers
    Fire observation/recon.
    Adventure fishing - taking you to hard to get to fishing spots.
    Military recon and getting to points/places without a road.
    Emergency evac of an injured person from difficult to get to places and places a helicopter is too large and powerful.

Can you think of other uses?

Like early prop aircraft, the engines became more and more powerful, the blades made stronger to cope and great performance achieved...eventually. Would we need another war for these to accelerate the evolution?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  12. OpanaPointer

Put a hundred of them in the air looking for a lost rugrat in Yosemite National Forest? Make them two seaters and ferry smoke jumpers into hot zones? Patrol heavy ground traffic from the air? Move accident victims to a side road that isn't jammed with rush hour traffic? Scout out from fishing ships to find where the Charlies are schooling so the tuna boats can home in?

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Some good ideas for drones…

14. OpanaPointer

Sling a stokes litter under them and you wouldn't have to land to load casualties. Ship-to-ship xfer ala Deepwater Horizon.

CAC likes this.
  15. Prospero Quevedo

Have you seen all those piloted drones one guy built one that has like dozens of small ducted fan motors seems ridiculous I think it would be more practical using larger motors but I'm sure for him the smaller ones were cheaper and easier to get. China already uses small two man drones for an automated air taxi service. Some guy using small fan duct motors built what he calls a hover board built its huge compared to the movie conception more like a hover platform but it seems like it could be a start for a new from of sport.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah Uber Australia says its possible for flying taxis in Australia in about 5 years...

[​IMG]

I think for CASA to give the green light you need green areas to fly over in case of emergency. What are the chances of a terrorist group using these in built up areas though?

17. Prospero Quevedo

I'm actually surprised they haven't used drones yet. Maybe they can't get the larger drones to carry a decent payload plus here the manufacturer are suppose to have a built in gps device and every drone ID for tracking purposes but I yah ink a terrorist could figure out how to mask or disable tracking or build one to suit his purpose. They say lots of people build their own and muck more powerful than most of the store bought ones. Like an attack I would think would be hard to see and being as small as they are would they even be traceable on radar.

18. Prospero Quevedo

Told my nephews the way people are here dot wits would build their own and be flying into poles power lines and just causing all. Sorts of messes.

19. Prospero Quevedo

Doesn't look very safe I'd rather parachute in than try one of those, even if I do have vertigo. Lol

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Just got this in my feed…How awesome are these! Clive Robertson Caldwell, my wartime hero and avatar…

upload_2021-11-4_0-31-55.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-4_0-34-43.jpeg

I think he approves…
    upload_2021-11-4_0-36-8.jpeg

Half Track, OpanaPointer and A-58 like this.