Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Oiler can from WW2

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by McCabe, Dec 5, 2014.

1. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

I promised a friend I'd research an item he got from his dad, who got it from his own father who was in WW2.

It looks like the picture below, except instead of WH, I think it has BD, or BU, or UB. It's my understanding that this is a Soviet-made oiler for a rifle (Mosin Nagant?). Can anyone tell me what the BD/BU/UB might stand for? Also, he thinks its German because his grandfather was on the western front. But couldn't he have easily picked it up from a German soldier who previously obtained it while on the eastern front? Any thoughts, particularly regarding the letters BD/BU or UB?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

That's the standard Soviet dual-compartment oiler for a Mosin Nagant. Cleaning solution on the left ("schalock", or "alkaline solution") and oil on the right ("neft" or "oil"). This type was introduced in the 1930s.

Given that Mosin Nagants are very common on the surplus market now and all come with one of these I doubt its a vet bring-back. I could be wrong, but it looks to be in too good condition for one and I don't see why a German soldier would lug a oiler for a Mosin Nagant to the other side of Europe.

3. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Thanks for the response! It's definitely a vet bring-back-- his grandfather brought it back.

Also, I have to reiterate, the one in the picture is different from the one my friend has --- his has BD or BU on it, of which I'm trying to decipher the meaning. The picture is just for reference.

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Sorry, I missed that. I'm posting from my phone.

What shape is the one your friend has? Romanian oilers were stamped with B and U, and came in both rectangular and round shapes.

5. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Not nearly as good of shape as the picture I posted... lots of rust. Thanks for solving the BU riddle for me.

6. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Your suspicions were indeed correct, this is in fact *not* a vet bring-back.

Thanks again for the the information.