Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Operation Bluecoat - Museum "La Percée du Bocage"

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Billy Leblond, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Billy Leblond

Billy Leblond New Member

[​IMG]

Operation Bluecoat: July 30 to August 7, 1944:
    Operation Bluecoat, better known as "The Breakthrough in the Bocage", was launched from Caumont l'Eventé on July 30, 1944.

His goal was to take advantage of the departure in the area of Caen of he 2nd Panzer, during the operation "Goodwood", to penetrate the center of the enemy and also help the progress of the American breakthrough south of Saint-Lô (operation Cobra). One of the objectives of this "Breakthrough the Bocage" was the taking of Hill 309, east of Saint-Martin, by the VIII British Corps, while XXX Corps was to ensure the heights of "Bois du Homme" south-west of Jurques, and that the XII Corps would launch an attack on Villers-Bocage.
    The Liberation of St-Martin-des-Besaces:

The main breakthrough was carried out by the 15th Scottish Division which managed to seize Hill 309, and by the 11th Armoured Division, of which a reconnaissance unit, by a fabulous contest of circumstance, penetrated 9 kms inside the German lines to a undefeded bridge over the Souleuvre river ... which allowed General Roberts to take advantage of this infiltration and thus to be able with the elements from the west, to free Saint-Martin on July 31st. The importance of this prodigious breakthrough was such that the whole battle plan of the VIII Corps was immediately modified.​

[​IMG]

The museum:
    Most of it is devoted to the battles for the Breakthrough and the liberation of Saint-Martin-des-Besaces and its surroundings. Thanks to 250 photographic documents presented on a panoramic map and period maps, it is possible to relive step by step the progression of the different battalions, from July 30 to August 4, 1944.
    A gigantic diorama representing the fighting in St-Martin in which you can observe 60 models of vehicles and equipment.
    Inaugurated on June 12, 1983 by General Roberts and the veterans, it's a museum without weapons, because we rather prefer men and their stories; many memories evoking their history bring a comment rich in anecdotes.
    Who better to explain that Jean Ménard himself in this video subtitled:

Documentation:
    Musée de la Percée du Bocage,
    5, rue du 19-Mars-1962
    14350, Saint-Martin-des-Besaces
    Tél. 02.31.67.52.78
    contact@laperceedubocage.fr
    www.laperceedubocage.fr
    Musée de La Percée du Bocage

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Great Map! I need to visit the museum. No gunners though. It would have been even more complicated!

Attached Files:

Billy Leblond likes this.
  3. Billy Leblond

Billy Leblond New Member

BBR (Black Bull Research) team.

*****CALLING ALL MEMBERS OF OUR GROUP WITH ACCESS TO GENEALOGY SITES*****
    We have reached the milestone of locating 200 of the potential 1915 photographs of the Fallen of The 11th Armoured Division.

Always seeking alternative methods of locating more photographs.
    Recently, Cheryl Stannard, a supporter of my ongoing project, quickly located 3 photographs, with only limited research time, using one of the major genealogy sites.
    She did so by searching for soldiers (hopefully with photographs attached) within existing family trees.

I AM SEEKING GROUP MEMBERS WHO WOULD BE WILLING TO CARRY OUT FURTHER SEARCHES.
    PERHAPS YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SEARCH A REGIMENT THAT YOU HAVE A PARTICULAR INTEREST IN?

If you declare an interest to me I could ensure that there is no overlap in the research.

You can work at your own pace, devoting whatever time you can spare. No pressure whatsoever.

The 11th Armoured Division Roll of Honour, compiled by Billy LEBLOND, contains details of all 1915 men who died from D-Day 6-6-1944 to 8-5-1945. Individual Regiments / Battalions / Corps / Squadrons etc can be viewed in date of death order.
    The link to the Roll of Honour is 11th Armoured Division - ROLL OF HONOUR
    With regard to the photographs already found, my latest posts within our group will always carry up to date lists. I split them into 2 groups: Normandy Campaign 6-6-44 to 31-8-44 and post Normandy Campaign 1-9-44 to 8-5-45.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS REQUEST SERIOUSLY AND MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO HELP, DECLARING A PREFERENCE TO A PARTICULAR REGIMENT IF YOU HAVE ONE.

I am very committed to this ongoing project. Photograph No.1 out of the 200 is of my uncle Joseph Alfred Curtis (attached).
    77 years after the event I find it very fitting and worthwhile to be able to reveal the human faces behind the statistics, and to ensure that the photographs of these heroes are contained in a collection that can be viewed by all of us.

I HOPE THAT THERE ARE GROUP MEMBERS WHO SHARE MY ENTHUSIASM, AND TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SERIOUS INROADS INTO FINDING THE POTENTIAL 1715 PHOTOGRAPHS NOT YET FOUND.

THANK YOU.
    Post FACEBOOK from ROBERT CURTIS on Saturday October 9th
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1273687546088264/user/100053007229188