Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Operation Pied Piper'

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by KJ Jr, Jun 25, 2018.

1. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

'Operation Pied Piper' was the evacuation of millions of British children to country foster homes for safety. It was the right thing to do, but the scars remain. Clearly this was written as a commentary on the current immigration policy. In the current education system, SEL (Social/Emotional Learning) is a reality that directly correlates to success in the classroom. The Post article breaks it down the Operation and current events.

Though I can see a political discussion on the horizon, try to keep it civil.

What World War II’s ‘Operation Pied Piper’ taught us about the trauma of family separations

JJWilson likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

To be honest, I never considered the effects of sending children to be "safe". Although I'm no psychologist, I imagine that any time a child is removed from his or her parents it would be traumatizing. I think it is doubly true if that child doesn't speak the language. At the least, those children were sent to live in homes, not "camps". Operation Pied Piper was put together with the best of intentions, but no one thought about or considered the long term effects.

3. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

As much as I would hate to separate families, and cause potential trauma, I would rather have my child traumatized and upset, rather than dead, which is how many kids whose parents didn't send them away, ended up.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Finland also sent many children to Sweden during Winter War. Many happy and many sad stories but better safe than facing bombing or being under invasion.