Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Operation Totalise

Discussion in 'The War In Normandy' started by Jim, Aug 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Canadian personnel watch In disbelief as the bombs dropped In support of the second phase of Operation Totalise fall perilously close to their lines. Over 300 casualties were suffered by Canadian, Polish and British Troops in the raid.

[​IMG]

2. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix New Member

via War44
    Hi Jim, great photo. Do you mind if I copy it and add to my website, obviously I will add full credits to here.

I am a genealogist and one of my family members was William Alfred Blake who died on 13 August 1944 while serving with the 1st Bn Ox and Bucks Light Infantry. I have been trying to track his life right up to the day he died. So far I have traced him to the beaches on 6th June 1944 (Don`t know which one yet).
    I`ve then got him again as part of Operation Epsom which took Caen. I then have him as part of Operation Totalise. I have found a map which tracks the British and Canadian movements on the 7th, 9th and 11th August. He died on the 13th August.
    I do not know exactly how he died, I`ve always assumed he was kileld by some kind of weapon, say a bullet, bomb or missle. However, having seen the pitcure you posted then perhaps the possibility existed that he was killed by friendly fire.
    However, according to things I`ve found I suspect that he was killed by Germans during a temp halt in the advance to take Potigny which gave the Germans time to move in two battle groups of SS Panzer formations.

Anyway, great site like so far.

3. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Hello Lady Phoenix, sure you can copy the picture be my guest.. :thumb:

I wish you well in your quest and please keep us updated should you find something new regarding William Alfred Blake.

4. Kelly War44

Kelly War44 New Member

via War44
    That's a daunting picture, what must have been going through their minds?:ahg: