10,152 German graves Originally, Orglandes was a provisional cemetery, set up by the Americans after the advance on Cherbourg from Sainte-Mere-Eglise and Utah-Beach. It is just outside the Village along the D.24 road to Valognes. As with other German cemeteries the work of exhuming and the lay-out was done by the Volksbund between 1956 and 1961. A square building surmounted by an impressive tower forms the cemetery entrance. The wall built on, gives the impression of an enclosed space. Quite the contrary, the slope and undulating ground has been kept, giving distant views of the surrounding countryside. The original banks and 'Bocage' hedge-rows are maintained and these divide the twelve acres into four parcels. Much and varied foliage has been added which with the not too severe alignment of grey crosses lends a sense of both grandeur and simplicity to a site that is in perfect tune with the countryside.