Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ORIGINAL FALLSCHIRMJAGER PHOTO ALBUM CRETE AND RUSSIAN FRONT

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by hornetsfan, Jan 21, 2010.

1. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Thanks JW . more Grave photos..and the Fallschirjager badge

Attached Files:

2. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Attached Files:

3. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Attached Files:

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Jim do we know what awards this chap had in total ? excuse my question about unit, but lets move into later sphere was it still MG Abt 7 in Russia as well or does he move onward to another Abt and or Regiment ?

5. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Hello Erich , Only on the inside front page of the album does it mention machine gun battalion...some very knowledgeable recognised him ....mad keen Fallschirmjager enthusiasts ...a cross referenced the names on written letter within album , with names on graves...I will check the Russian graves , but believe they are also MG Batt .
    jim

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

the 7th MG Abt was part of the 7th Flieger Division and had 3 Kompanies. now the question is what happened with it and it's sister the 7th AT Abteilung after Crete ?

7. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Attached Files:

8. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Our man some time after Crete ..towards end of albumso possibly much later in war . What can you tell me about this image ?

View attachment 10129

Attached Files:

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Oberfeldwebel/Stabsfeldwebel. He is the Kompanie 1st sergeant due to the double tresse above his cuffs. Sadly I cannot see how many pips he has on his shoulder straps

EK 1 and 2. DRL sports badge, Fallschirm Abzeichen /// and a funny piece of fuzz growing under his nose

10. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Attached Files:

11. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Attached Files:

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Jim the info I submitted help for ID ?

13. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Hello Erich ,yes it helped back up the information which I had previously been given . With non British military i'm in the hands of others . We have this fallschirmjager chaps name at front of thread .
    I have recently joined a WW1 forum ,as I have a few great WW1 albums.
    Tonight it was the turn to further research an Admirals Photo album ,this is dated 1905-1911 ...fantastic images . He was born in 1875 ,died 1947 , in ww1 served as a skipper on a couple of Dreadnoughts ..I have his personal diaries 1905-mid 1940s and all his scrapbooks late 1880s to1940s ...I can barely lift the large box which they are in .
    This evening I was pointed in the direction of the British National Archives and just downloaded copies of his long Naval service record ( only cost 3 pounds ) ..I was delighted, much of the information I had not previously known . A forum member also uncovered the fact that this old man was buried at sea , which I thought was quite moving .( he had a long illness, to which he refers to in his diaries ) .
    The internet and these forums are brilliant for research , the information is there if we know where to look ..or know the right people .
    Erich , what are your particular fields of interest and knowledge strengths ? ..and can you flag up some of the best brains on this site for me to pester ?:)...damned its 2.20am ...bedtime me thinks .
    many thanks
    jim

14. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Just haunting....

Love Erich's post referring to "that little Austrian turd".

15. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Hello Volga boatman, re the Austrian comment ..
    Like many people here I have watched loads of WW2 TV documentarys ( too many ) , read a pile of books , viewed more than a 100 German ww2 period photo albums ...etc etc etc
    I fully understand the way the German people suffered economically ..the shame of defeat after WW1 ...I understand something of the need for humans to have a super daddy to look after them or look up to ( historically religion and today the cult of the celebrity in our current shallow times ) .
    However , one thing I dont think I will ever come to fully comprehend is how the pathetic Hitler and his small group of evil henchmen managed to gain so much power ,so quickly ..especially in such a fine , cultured country as Germany .
    Alas the human race does have sheep like tendancies... too eager to believe and too easily manipulated ...I include myself in this and see it in everyone else I have ever met ( to a greater or lesser extent ).
    The important question we should ask ourselves is this ...have we really learned anything from the horror and devastation of WW2 ? Personally , following the news... looking at the war that currently occupies the attention of US , Britain and many other nations and the madness that caused recent global economic chaos ...I somehow doubt it .
    So long as the sun does continue to shine and the birds carrying on singing I shall strive to be a generally content man .. And let all the nonesense just pass me by . ( perhaps this is how Hitler came to power ) .
    jim

16. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Attached Files:

17. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

18. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Hello Sniper , I initially believed the Major was the one you mention .
    But it is actually Major Erich Schulz ...kdr fsch.MG Btl 7 between june 1940-august 1941 .
    View attachment 10270
    jim

Attached Files:

19. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

thanks jim,that answers my question,regards,ray..

20. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Sorry old boy, reply to your post.

I tend to agree that we have not learnt much from WW2 as a species while we continue to perpetrate the exact same problems that caused WW2, ie indifference.

Many westerners are suffering from this 'comfort zone' thing, that is "I'm alright Jack. What about you?". Generally, people will only 'arc up' about something when it affects them personally. Otherwise, they are like many city dwellers that witness crimes and do nothing....they just walk on by.

Study of the people in Germany in the 1930's can reveal much about our present attitudes. Here we have a people who had contributed much that was good to Europe turning in a direction that still leaves many wondering exactly how it occurred and why. Simple explanations are never enough to predict the behaviour of people in a group situation. This is why study of the entire period is so important. We must work out "what actually happened", and to do this we need people to come forward from this period, and from modern Germany, to honestly appraise the past, analyze it, so that we can, at least, work out HOW it came to be that way so quickly.

The modern states of Germany and Austria, to their lasting credit, seem to be doing just that.
    There are a few countries (which I will not name) that are guilty of "whitewashing" their involvement in this human tragedy.

Nothing we ever do in the examination of the history of human affairs will be more important than working TOGETHER to realise a better future FOR EVERYBODY, not just for a select few.

I am proud to say that this website, that I am a contributing member of, does exactly that....