Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Other Chances to Win World War II

Discussion in 'What If - Other' started by SOAR21, Dec 16, 2008.

1. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

It is generally accepted that, with the failure of Operation Barbarossa, Germany would have been defeated eventually. Most alternate timelines diverge from the possible success of Operation Barbarossa.

Now, what other times could Germany have won the war after failing Operation Barbarossa? To win, I have Germany hypothetically defeating Britain and Russia, and at least having a stalemate with the United States, with Japan still in the war.

I suppose, if Operaion Zitadelle had been carried out earlier, and without giving the Soviets time to build up, there was a remote chance of victory on the east front.

Also, if Operation Overlord had been defeated, as Churchill said, Britain would essentially be knocked out of the war as an effective participant. The Americans would probably return to try again, but Overlord was their best chance.

Also, if the Japanese codes had not been broken and Midway won by the Japanese, maybe more American forces would be tied down on the Pacific side, opening up possibilities in Europe.

Most likely, had Operation Sealion gone as planned, the loss of Britain would cause added pressure on Russia, but, Sealion would take time, and Russia would probably already be in full fighting capability, and Germany would be very, very hard-pressed to defeat Russia.

If Rommel captured the Middle East, as well, a whole new front in Russia would be opened, as well as in India, so that may have been the best chance after Barbarossa for Germany to win the war.

What are the other possibilities?

2. usmc7thmarines

usmc7thmarines Member

Germany should have waited to at least 1943 to start anything. They should not have wasted so much men and material on creating 'death camps'. Should not have focused on genocide anyway. They had the best scientists, if they hadn't been so outspoken about anti-semetism then Einstein would have more than likely not have been part of the Manhatten Project.

By '43 they could have easily had the tech to develop the weapons they would have needed to win. I believe the USSR would not have violated the non-agression pact with the Germans, they lacked the political intelligence on advancing military tech. The early commies had caveman mentalities.

The had no reason to attack Britain hell they probably could have gotten the Irish to help out. I'm sure they could have traded the Soviets the Hard Water( required for the H bomb) for some bread and cheese and maybe some good German chocolates.

After all this alll a matter of opinion. The Germans were very far advanced for the era! Remember, Germany and Italy declared war on the US after the US told Japan to brace for the beating they were about to receive!

3. usmc7thmarines

usmc7thmarines Member

Germany should have waited to at least 1943 to start anything. They should not have wasted so much men and material on creating 'death camps'. Should not have focused on genocide anyway. They had the best scientists, if they hadn't been so outspoken about anti-semetism then Einstein would have more than likely not have been part of the Manhatten Project.

By '43 they could have easily had the tech to develop the weapons they would have needed to win. I believe the USSR would not have violated the non-agression pact with the Germans, they lacked the political intelligence on advancing military tech. The early commies had caveman mentalities.

The had no reason to attack Britain hell they probably could have gotten the Irish to help out. I'm sure they could have traded the Soviets the Hard Water( required for the H bomb) for some bread and cheese and maybe some good German chocolates.

After all this alll a matter of opinion. The Germans were very far advanced for the era! Remember, Germany and Italy declared war on the US after the US told Japan to brace for the beating they were about to receive!

4. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Certainly. And as we all know, opinions are like "something else", everyone is entitled to one.

Remeber, never buy Hard Water from any Russian, it will spoil your dish washer in no time!

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Germany alone could not win it all, I think.

Germany had weak axis partners, and Germany also had to do alot to help them stay in the battle.

If Germany had waited until 1943 that would mean in the East they would be facing thousands of t-34´s with their tanks possibly being upgraded Pz IV´s at best.

The Japanese were not anymore that interested in fighting with the Germans after Hitler made the Ribbentrop Molotov pact Aug 1939, although it did not stop them from making a pact with Stalin in spring-summer 1940 themselves.

Just some of my thoughts on the subject....

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Ok, here we go again boys.

Why would the British and commonwealth forces be dropped from the war, the failed Dieppe Raid didn't force that? The British went through the Battle for France, the Desert against the Africa corp, they fought the wolfpacks and commerce raiders in the Channel, and the Atlantic, they even fought for there very survivial with the Battle of Britain. They had many loses and massive defeats in all these, so why are they just going to drop out and give up after one more?

The British are fighters, always have been and always will be, they are a never give up type of attitude when it comes to war.
    The Pacific war was predominately a Marine theatre and the European threater the US army, so why are there going to be more troops diverted from Europe?

Operation Sealion has been gone over again and again and to refer to that please take a look at some of the other threads on that subject. Basically, the Germans never could have won it. Germany was always hard pressed to battle with Russia, they could never beat Russia and if by some miracle they did, they would never be able to control all of Russia and hope to engage in any other theatres.

What other Front? Turkey? Turkey was neutral during the war and there was no gurantee that they would side with either the allied ot the axis forces if she did decieide to enter the war.

I think you need to think more about you are asking and perhaps read some of the other threads.

7. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Joe likes this.
  8. Za Rodinu

By the way, what is the purpose of this thread, who would be interested in having the Nazis win World War 2 and why? :eh:

9. Joe

Joe Ace

Err, I think you mean "Heavy Water", Hard water is something that can damage your dishwasher. I doubt destroying allied dishwashers was part of Hitler's grand strategy.

If I presented my opinions of this thread here, then the powers that be may not be all that pleased.

Tomcat likes this.
  10. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Why does this subject pop up every couple of weeks? I for one find what did happen far more interesting than what could have happened. Lets just be happy the Nazis lost and Hitler was a fool.

11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Einstein was not involved with the design or development of the Atomic Bomb. And he was not involved at all with the Manhattan Project. All his involvement with the Bomb was signing the Einstein-Szilárd letter to Roosevelt.

12. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

13. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

That is precisely correct!

But Enrico Fermi was a key player in the development of the bomb and Fermi had left Italy because of the Italian fascists, not the German Nazis.

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

15. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

Maybe they still keep it in secret and anybody knows

16. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Are you for real?? seriously, the kind of reactor the Germans were developing was too much trouble. They needed more heavy water than the Russians ever had.
    They would have to go trough a lot before reaching a feasible reactor (namely, a graphite one).

Cheers...

17. Joe

Joe Ace

How could they keep it secret? Look at the size of Germany. How can you possibly keep a nuclear reactor secret in Europe? It's too densely populated!

18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

19. Za Rodinu

Maybe my grandmother was a gorilla but she kept it a secret.

This statement has the same degree of validity, intelligence and knowledge as yours.

chewy likes this.
  20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Awww c'mon Za!! They were able to keep secret the Antartic base,Flying saucers,Zombie Soldiers,Ray Guns and lots of other things :p :rolleyes:. LOL