Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Overall British Army Strength 1940

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1939 - 1942' started by Carl W Schwamberger, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

Can anyone provide me with a reliable source, & perhaps a summary, of the strength of the British army in the UK, France, Norway, & Egypt/Far East for May through October 1940? That is a count of men and weapons. I realize the exact numbers varied in each location month to month or even week to week during that summer. Appreciate any leads on the numbers ...thanks

2. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Carl:I have the following from 'BEF Free; Encyclopedia com ":By may,the BEF's strenght totalled 394165 men,though more than 150000 of them were in the rear areas and were mostly without military training. Frieser in The blitzkieg Legend gives for the BEF 1280 artillery pieces and 310 tanks(without the 330 combat vehicles of the 1st Armoured Division ) and a total for the Army of 1650000 in june . Cheers

3. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

Thanks much. I will place that on my reading list. Is there anything in it about numbers and composition is locations like Egypt, India, the UK...?