Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pacific Theater 25th Infantry Division

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by CurlySue, Nov 29, 2022.

1. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi
    I’m new - just wanted to know anyone else have a Father-Grandfather-Relative in the 25th Infantry Division WWII ?

2. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Welcome to the Site………hopefully someone can help here. Are you looking for info on a specific person (your relative) which we may be able to help you with??

WELCOME

3. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

From my research and my Fathers separation papers I’ve been able to follow his path in the service . I can’t be 100% sure but from the Pacific Theaters he fought in - well here this is where he served: Battles and Campaigns : Central Pacific-Guadalcanal-Southern Philippines-Luzon . He was wounded
    Wounds received in Action: Asiatic Pacific Theatre 13 April, 1945 . Right now today I’ve started watching the HBO Mini Series
    The Pacific…and it’s from this and a couple other things I’ve read that I know he was in some horrific situations- - no wonder he didn’t want to talk about his time there. I heard him talking with my Uncle about what they had been through- - they would talk telling stories then laugh and then quiet would set in and they’d say well see ya tomorrow and that would be the end of their beer drinking Saturday night . But here’s the thing these stories were overheard- - bits an pieces - however I know he talked about Guadalcanal the Philippines - talked about shooting japs - sorry Japanese- - I tell you I got in trouble growing up calling ppl nips- japs and other colorful things. Ha ha . I haven’t requested his Military Personal Service File yet - I think I’m too wrapped up in the journey- - ya know what I mean ? Anyway I’m pretty new to this forum and it has helped me a great deal , but I’m not new to the search. The Center for Military History has been a wealth of info . Now since he was stationed on Hawaii I’ve deducted that he was part of the 25th Infantry Division also his job Field Artillery and this Inf.Div. saw a lot of action. What are you up too ? Tho I’m watching “The Pacific” Mini Series and believe it to be very good- - the 1st Marines quite the heroes- - I was hoping someone here might direct me to Books-Movies-Documentary on the Army 25th or just Army would be great .
    See around

4. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

You might want to read Lightning Joe Collins' autobiography. He commanded the 25th on Gaudalcanal.

5. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Yes , I looked for that book last week . During my search for that book I found so many others that I got distracted- ha ha . Thank you
    I’ll give it another look see - Thanx Riter

6. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

7. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

8. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi Riter
    Here is a link to enlistment/separation paper
    Copy of Copy of New document
    Hope I can gain more info from you all here
    Thank you in advance, see ya Laterrrrr

9. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

I can upload some newspaper clippings for members of the 90th Field Artillery, 25th Inf. "Tropic Lightning" from 1943 - 1945.

Globe-Gazette Mason City, Iowa 29 Aug 1945, Wed • Page 5

1st Sgt Denno P Karamitros

img.jpeg

Half Track and CurlySue like this.
  10. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

T/5 John McKeegan
    25th Infantry (Tropic Lightning) 90th Field Artillery.

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 2.21.49 PM.png

The Times-News 12 Apr 1945, Thu · Page 14

11. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Impressive, the 25th received a Presidential Unit Citation in WWII also

12. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

1LT Maurice Ireland Killed in action on April 1945 near Putlan, Nueva Ecjia, Phillipines
    25th Infantry (Tropic Lightning) 90th Field Artillery.

Lt Maurice Ireland killed in action on Luzon.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  13. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi , Do you have any for California? Newspaper clippings ?
    In a 1950 or 1940 something census it showed the Family in Yolo or Sutter County.
    At that time my Father had his home address in Yolo County,California on his
    enlistment paper.
    I wonder if he filed his separation papers with Yolo County ?? when he got back ??
    I was going to try and see , but the County Court House moved to the
    Sacramento County Courts so long ago. Don't know if he had filed anything there....and I saw
    that kinda search as wayyyy over my head ....and I was busy with just Army records at first .
    I can't talk long right now - - - it's dinner time ...and someone Has Got To Cook It ! ha ha haaa
    Thank you so much for what you have posted so far - I was overwhelmed seeing all of that at one
    time . Ha ! My Uncle J.T. looks like he's part indian or musher .Now JT had some mean streaks
    I never liked him at all .. Uncle Charlie was a lot of fun .Real good human being .
    Oops Gotta Gooooo

14. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

I looked through Newspapers.com & Genealogybank & didn't see anything.

CurlySue likes this.
  15. evilroddy

evilroddy Member

CurlySue:

Have you tried contacting the 25th Infantry Division Association? They might be able to shed light on any questions you have.

25th Infantry Division Association

Cheers and be well.
    Evilroddy.

CurlySue likes this.
  16. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hello , Evilroddy

I’ve thought of that very thing - - here’s the thing that stops me . I’ve known of them for awhile- - gone to their website- - I just wouldn’t want to make my first impression a bad one .
    Tho I’m anxious to contact them and the 90th - - - I’m hoping I would have the right questions to ask . What would be your suggestion - - What might you or anyone in this forum ask of such a group that your Father might have served with so many years ago ?
    Thank you for your reply Evilroddy

17. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

First impressions can get you places. :D I've toured the Pentagon - (private 5 and a 1/2 half hour walkabout), become an Honorary member of a local Army National Guard and a few other things just by asking or doing. Don't be afraid to ask !
    You are a family member and I can guarantee you'll be accepted as one of their own.

CurlySue likes this.
  18. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I agree. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Besides, you've posted and raised some insights here. I would pose them there. I'm sure they would be delighted to know of your interest and would be a great resource for answers. Be sure to tell us what they say.

CurlySue likes this.
  19. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Ok , I believe you wouldn’t steer me wrong.
    I will post- - and let everyone here know what happens. Thank you all so much- - here goes
    See ya Laterrrrr

20. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Ok , I give it a go
    Wish me Luck- - I will let you know
    Thanks for all you do - Biak