Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Packed and ready to go

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by luketdrifter, May 5, 2011.

1. Lady Prime

Lady Prime Member

Have a wonderful time, Luke!!

2. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

We got a quarter inch of snow on July 4th a few years ago. Below freezing is a summer time low for us. Jug, I wasn't THAT far north...only about 10 miles from home. Did take a Mother's Day drive (well a boat trip involved too) to Drummond Island yesterday and was thinking it'd make a sweet spot for a roughing it camping trip...but then we saw the wolf.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We actually got about 3 inches of snow around April 20th one year. Now that was unexpected. It was gone by the afternoon, though.

4. bigfun

bigfun Ace

3 inches! as far south as you are, i bet people freaked! i was in Tennessee just last year, they got a 1/2 inch, and it basically shut down the area i was in. wouldn't let me leave the truck stop! lol!

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We do get snow from time to time and it usually shuts us down. We're just not prepared for it, as it comes so irregularly and does not last too long.

The most snow in my lifetime here was 9 inches in March, 1993. It stayed around for most of week and EVERYTHING was shut down for several days.

6. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Heh. Yeah, we got about 6 inches this past winter, and everything shut down for a week. I drove 20 miles out to work, only to have my boss call me as I was slithering across the parkinglot and tell me that they were closing the plant due to weather, and to go home. So I drove back home. And managed to pick up some nasty stomach bug which floored me for about 4 days, so I couldn't enjoy any of it. Yeah. I was pissed.

Still, there's not much that beats turning onto one of those extra-wide streets in an industrial area that has a lot of big-rigs....and flooring it whilst flipping the steering wheel all over the place. Yeah, baby! Parallel parking is so much easier when you can drive sideways! LOL

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

We woke up to an inch of snow on the ground May 1st. It marked the beginning of the seventh month of Winter. They don't get the snowplows on the roads here unless the forecast is for more than 4 inches.
    I'd have to agree with Luke, when it's 20 degrees and the ice is on the inside of the tent it ain't much fun.

8. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Biak it's funny when folks talk about winter....when they get an average snowfall of our fall dustings. If you've ever missed work, been sent home, called in, whatever, for anything less than 18 inches of snow...you need to go sit down. In the spring, when it's 40, we roll down our windows. There is snow, and then there is SNOW. We had temps in the 60's for a week, 70's for a week, then bam....foot and a half of snow....now tomorrow it'll be 70. Most of you people would have malaria at this point.

9. Dauntless

Dauntless Member

Not me. I live and work indoors **smirks knowingly**

10. Biak

I use to cringe when the Folks up here said they drove around with the windows down if the temp hit the mid 40's. Until about a month ago when I did it and shouted with Joy "Spring Is Here"! I spent the daylight hours working outside in the 70's we had yesterday and was sweltering. I'm still trying to figure out how 50 and Sunny here feels like 70 did 500 miles South. We seeded the new lawn last Fall and just now are beginning to see itty-bitty blades of grass peeking through the straw.
    Oh well Spring IS here and time for;

[​IMG]

luketdrifter likes this.
  11. Gaky

Gaky Member

Have fun dude ! i think i need to do some thing like that my self :)

12. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Oh man does that look great. Did some fantastic morel hunting last weekend for my birthday....scored about 3 pounds! Most I've ever found there were so many I couldn't pick 'em all. Going back tomorrow hope a few are left.

13. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Me too...working indoors makes me have a sad face somedays.

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Turn that frown upside down.

15. Biak

Okay it was in the 70's yesterday and I got a sunburn so it can start cooling off now.
    3 POUNDS OF MORELS? I've gotta' let the chores go and get out in the woods! I guess they don't have many of the Yellow Morel around here but a Black Morel variety and since the flies have hatched out (kinda' like a barometer for mushrooms), it is time for the Hunt to begin!

ps: that's a filleted 3 lb. Bass and 10 Crappie fillets frying in the pan. :)

16. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

You and I'd be dangerous hanging out...we'd eat too good nobody believe us.

17. Biak

Yeah! and I've got 2 cases of beer in the cabin/workshop frig', couple bottles of Black Label Scotch (plus assorted other amenities) in the cabinet and a supply of 90+ rated cigars in the humidor. Well, actually a case and a half of beer in the frig' - it was a long hot day. A Lake full of Northern Pike, Bass, Sunfish, and Walleye a hundred feet from our back door and Deer, Rabbit, Grouse, Ducks and Geese within a leisurely walk.
    God It's Good to be Retired!

18. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Do you take guests? In all seriousness....I'd pay for that kind of retreat. I'd bring the beer, the Black Label, the bait, the shells, the dogs, and whatever. Let's talk about this...

19. Biak

If I ever hit the Lottery I'd like to buy a nearby parcel to rent out. We started planning for this place nearly 20-25 years ago and finally got here last Fall after 35 1/2 years of toil in a factory. Now as long as my health holds up and I can see a return on our investment (living here over the next 30 or 40 years), I'll be a very happy man! That is if I survive all the landscaping and finish work. Putting in a patio - jammed my thumb yesterday on a patio block; building a driveway - strained my back shoveling gravel; pulled a calf muscle somewhere along the line; I've removed enough splinters to use as kindling to start a fire. Come to think about it, maybe today I'll just sit back and look at the lake, enjoy a cigar and have a drink. OR go Mushroomin' !