Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Painting Aricraft Canopies

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Nathan S., May 31, 2003.

1. Nathan S.

Nathan S. Member

Does anyone know any good tips for painting the canopies for aircraft models? I've tried several different ways, but none of them look to good. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Nathan,
    I have found the best method is to use a good quality masking taping and masking the area of the glazing and then you should be able to paint the areas that need painting.

3. Nathan S.

Nathan S. Member

Will that work even for the detailed models with lots of the individual windows on the windshield? The model I'm currently working on is a 1/48 scale B-24, and I've had some trouble due to so many individual panes that have to be masked.

4. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Yeah it will. i suggest usnig tamiya masking tape. apply it to the glazinf and then draw on where the windows are cut it out then apply the masking to the glazing.

5. Nathan S.

Nathan S. Member

Thanks alot, I'll have to try that. I'm not sure what my next model is going to be (either a 1/72 Lancaster or 1/48 B-17), but I'll see how it turns out.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

a Lancaster, whoa our English friend Martin may take note of this very soon.....

Nathan try this site :

www.hyperscale.com and ask the questions on the Plant Talking discussion forum

ever try a Junkers Ju 88G-6 nachtjäger .. ? .. ;)

~E

7. Nathan S.

Nathan S. Member

I haven't done one yet, but I do have one. In the last 6 months, my brother and I have been buying tons of models. We've each made about 15 and we each have about 20 bought ahead for each of us. I'm pretty sure we each have a JU-88 in a 1/48 scale.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

if it's Dragon's model take your time with it. I've seen a couple of them done-up and whoa very impressive.......I'd try to tackle one but have no room in my office for it's display unfortunately. :(

~E :cool:

9. Nathan S.

Nathan S. Member

I'm not sure what one mine is for sure. But about the display thing for your models. I've been hanging my models from my bedroom ceiling. I use white twine, and tie loopes around the wings, then hang it on tea-cup hooks that I have screwed into the ceiling. I then arrange the planes as I hang them into different scenes and dogfights. For example I have a Spitfire chasing a Me 109. Also I have a P-51 chasing a Me 109 around a B-24. These all look really cool and they really look like their flying. Also, they cast really neat shadows on the walls a ceiling.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I use to use fishing line as a kid. clear, light weight and barely seeable. that was the problem too as I smashed what I thought was a gorgeous B-24 Liberator and Me 410 chasing it to pieces. almost like they collided as the parts, wings, fuselage halves, propellars went everywhere......well that was the end of the ceiling diorama's ! sad as both a/c had free-spinning props and when the summer breezes came through the window......anyway you get my drift.

~E

11. Nathan S.

Nathan S. Member

When I hung each plane, I used 2-3 teacup hooks on each. So in that case, there were 2 points of anchoring. Some of the models I even tied together. When the wind blows, the planes rock slightly but they stay secure.

12. Buck Yaldy

Buck Yaldy Member

Don't forget to use Future Floor Wax on the clear part of the canopy to get a crystal shine for a fantastic finish!

13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I missed this thread when I was on holiday last year - THE answer to aircraft glazing is the wonderful E-Z Masks .....