Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

paintings and drawings of German Soldiers

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

During the 3rd Reich period various German artists made painting and drawing to glorify the German army, these propaganda scenes were sometimes printed on postcards. Original postcards from the 1933-1945 period are popular items for collectors. I have a couple which were donated to me by a Veteran who brought these back from Germany in 1945 when he returned home.

the first one is an early war drawing depicting an unlikey scene of a German tank sinking a British Warship in the Eismeer aera. I has a bilingual description for Finns and Germans.
    "Deutscher Panzerkampfwagen beschiesst englische Flotteneinheiten" =
    "Saksalainen hyökkäysvaunu ampuu englantilaisia laivasttoyksikkköjä"
    which means "German tank shooting at English naval units"

[​IMG]

The second drawing is artwork signed by Hermnn Schneider. The card is tank "MK2 near Panewo"

[​IMG]

and the third one is a drawing (between the Battles = Zwischen den kämpfen)

[​IMG].

sunny971 likes this.
  2. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

nice find skipper. Excellent drawings. Do you own them?

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Thanks Skipper, for all our differences we are all,,,,,,, ah what's the use. Great retrospective of the Soldiers life.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Suzie, these WWII postcards were donated to me by a veteran, not the paintings. By the way I just noted the Schneider one is dated 1942

5. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

still that's a nice piece to own. I wonder what an original piece like that would be worth. Got to be in the thousands of dollars.. Lucky collector who owns a painting like those. Thanks skip for sharing.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Suzie, I am actually trying to find other similar cards, I believe the Germans issued a whole bunch of them. there is a Reference number on two of them which shows there are dozens of different models issued. The Finnish one has no printing on the back

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

very nice Skip you of course know all about the Willrich cards and expanded painting sets of the war. ?

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I know about the the ones you got in cigarette packs, but not about the postcard version

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

yes he also did multi-media things not just all ww-2 though that is what he is of course noted for. yes postcards as well as paintings. Of course now I have to look for what I have stored ............

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You'd better Erich, I did the same and found some useful information . I have an editor name for the cards it is Gutjahr: ERICH Gutjahr, Berlin NW 40 Lehrter Strasse 40 (named after Lehr?) . I also hav ehte name of the painter who drew the 2 grenadiers: F AHLERS.

More about Schneider too: he was apparently an Kriegsberichter (war reporter) as wall as an artist .