Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Panel at Anime Boston Convention 4/4/15: WWII, Japan, and Anime/Manga

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by Terry D, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

I should have posted this here earlier, but I just wanted people to know that I am going to be part of a panel tomorrow, 4/4, at the AnimeBoston convention. The panel will discuss Japan's involvement in WWII and the influence of that experience on postwar anime and manga (Japanese animation and comic books). I will be handling the history side of the panel, and I will also be mentioning the subject of postwar Japanese denial and evasion of responsibility. If anyone is interested, the panel will run from 5:45 to 7:15 PM at the Public Garden of the Sheraton Hotel in Boston's Back Bay. Google search for AnimeBoston and you will find details. Unfortunately it is not free but if you are in the area and interested let me know and I will see what I can do.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

That's a topic I'd be interested in, but I am about 350 miles southwest of you and will be at work for most of that time. Hopefully, someone will post a video of it on YouTube.

Grave of the Fireflies(not sue of the Japanese name)
    The Cockpit
    Zipang(a more involved Japanese take on the film "The Final Countdown")
    Kaze Tachinu(The Wind Rises - probably Hayao Miyazaki's last anime)

And of course, my favorite - Space Battleship Yamato/Starblazers

3. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

Alas, I had not heard of most of those, but my anime expert colleague may have. We will be looking at Barefoot Gen, Grave of the Fireflies, and many casual references and inferences in other stuff. I will devote special attention to Shigeru Mizuki, who has covered the war extensively and honestly in his manga. I will let you know if there is any recording of the panel.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm reading this now and obviously I won't be in Boston, but I'd be interested in what others at the discussion have to say. If there's no Youtube, make sure you post what happened.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

A bit OT but the strategy page mentioned the impact manga and/or the South Korean and possibly Chinese equivalants were having on North Korea. The impressions that the backgrounds in even the seedy manga gave of life in the west indicated a profound disconect with North Korean propaganda. Movies and other media had a similar impact.

Not manga but a film worth watching that has bearing on this is Kurisawa's Dream (at least I t hink that's the title)/

Oh, how did the talk go?