Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Panzer IV and Jagdpanzer IVL/70 - length of hull?

Discussion in 'The Tanks of World War 2' started by 03man, Aug 16, 2020.

1. 03man

03man New Member

Hi, new guy here and my first question; I have tried the search feature and can't find any relevant info, but that
    doesn't mean I didn't miss it.

I recently became interested in the myriad types of German tanks and armor from the '30s and 40's.
    I've picked up a few 1/35 models of several types, and that is what lead to this question.

After searching on line, I believe I've found that the length of the hull of the Jagdpanzer IV L/70 is about 3 feet
    longer than that of the Panzer IV. Ok, but If correct, where is the difference?

I can see the sloped armor at the front projects somewhat, maybe a foot?
    But where is the "rest"?
    Is the entire hull slightly stretched?

Or am I entirely wrong in my observation/findings ?

Thanks for any answer or direct me to a thread or other source.

Thanks in advance.

2. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Hilary Doyle book comes to mind.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

4. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

My bad. Walter Spielburger's along w/Hilary Doyle and Thomas Jentz's book, Light Jagdpanzers discusses it on page. 138. "WaPruf. 6 suggested on May 16, 1944, that the whole suspension be lengthened 100 mm. to the front which would change the center of gravity for the better. But this change required a. new design for the bow. The front road wheel mounts were already quite close to the drive wheel. Any further extension foward would inevitably led to a collision of the two running-gear components, which would have caused the destruction of the first road wheel by tthe drive wheel." Instead of having rubber, the front road wheels (2 on each side) were steel road wheels and lighter tracks were introduced.

Spielburger's series of books are, IMO, top notch and are the equivalent of Hunnicutt's series of books on American armor.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

That is the internet for you.

Jentz & Doyle's "Panzer Tracts #9 - Jagdpanzer - Jagdpanzer 38 to Jagdtiger"

Gives the hull length of the Jagdpanzer IV/L70 (V) as 5.90 meters. The hull length of the Jagdpanzer IV/L70 (A) is 5.92 meters.

Some sites have stated the hull length as 6.85 meters...Which is the overall length of the Jagdpanzer IV/L48.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  6. 03man

03man New Member

Thanks guys, if "lengths" were always noted as to hull or overall(with gun to front) it would be clearer.

The post "tank data books" was especially helpful.