Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Paperwork

Discussion in 'Living History' started by William, Feb 4, 2004.

1. William

William Member

Okay, a topic came up on one of the message boards I'm a member of. It was concerning reproduction photo ID cards. There were so many people wanting them, I got to wondering why people were wanting them.

Of all the veterans I've contacted over the years, nearly all of them said dog tags only. And when I say "nearly all", I mean 964 out of 966 or so that have replied to my questions.

I'm just wondering what the folks on this forum thought. Do you have a reproduction ID? If so, why? What use do you use it in? Is it just to add stuff to your displays? Is it used by you, and if so, in what purpose? Is it just because it's "neat" to have? Just asking out of curiousity.

Rip

By the way, I do own a repop ID card myself. I don't use it though.

2. Langemann

Langemann Member

Since I reenact German, I have both my Soldbuch and my ID disk. They are used at every event in my unit. Mostly to get food. No Soldbuch/ID disk = No food.

3. William

William Member

Sorry, should have been more specific. I meant the US reenactors.

I know the German Soldat had a Soldbuch and ID tag.

The US soldier also had a Pay Book for sure, but through my research not food on his person during combat. ID cards are few and far between, most being none front line units, and again, through correspondence with GI's, not seen on the front lines. A TM was also brought to my attention, and it does not state anything apparently about ID cards.

I was just wondering if any of the GI reenactors here carried them, and if so why.