Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pastfinder Munich 1933-1945

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by ColHessler, Dec 21, 2017.

1. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Author: Maik Kopleck
    Length: 109 pages

A lady at work turned me onto the guidebook for Berlin from this series, and I'll be reviewing that when I've read it. This one, though, is one I wish I'd had with me in 1988. That's when I went to Munich with a school group. It would have been nice even in our free time to get around and see more.

Anyway, this guide takes you from the central part of Munich to the outlying parts of town and the surrounding country. It tells us of the important Nazi buildings, such as the Gestapo HQ in Munich, and the Lowenbrau Haus, and their places in Nazi history. There's also a section on Nazi plans for the city after a Third Reich victory, including a mausoleum for Hitler. The writer also takes you to the Autobahn and factories for IG Farben and Junkers, as well as BMW.

We finish up with a couple of pages on Dachau. There's wonderful detail and photos on the buildings that are standing, and who owns them now, whether they are being used by the government of Germany or Bavaria, or banks or the Lutheran church.

Be sure to check this out if your going to Munich, so you can see the sights more clearly.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

I have always been partial to The Third Reich in Ruins website. They have several pages on Munich.
    Munich
    Lots of past & present photographs and location history.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Great site. Easy to get lost in and spend hours.