Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Patricia Joins War44...

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Jim, Jan 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Welcome Patricia! to war44 forums please introduce yourself by telling us where you are from, your interests in WWII or just History and how you found us.

Thanks,

War44 Team

2. Patricia War44

Patricia War44 New Member

via War44
    patricia says hi

My father was the pilot of the B-17, Mischief Maker. He passed away in May of 1999. I was born in September 1943 about the same time as the Mischief Maker. This site is awesome and I am grateful for the chance to meet others who share the connection. I am notifying both of my brothers about you too so they can join in.

I will add to the small piece about my dad. He actually barrel-rolled the B17 and yes, he was a true cowboy. There are numerous stories about his antics. But he was brilliant with math and had figured out whether it was possible and if so, at what speed, etc. Once he had it done on paper, he had to prove that he was right. He loved that plane.

He was loved by his men and was a tough task master in demanding that they fly perfectly in tight formation. When my parents had their 50th anniversary, my brother, Derek, sent a blank cassette to each person who had known Dad then. They were to record any anecdotes they could remember and and send it back. All of his men sent the tapes back with tears of gratitude for the lives they had been able to lead, as a result of Dad's leadership during the war.

Needless to say, it was a very moving and much appreciated tribute for us, his family, to be able to hear.

3. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Welcome to the forums Patricia, and thank you for sharing the information about your Father. Do you know what happened to his plane after the war? Would love to hear more.

4. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Welcome Patricia, 'good to have you here. It's clear your dad was a great & respected man and yeah, let's hear some of those anecdotes !

5. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Welcome to war44 Patricia, it is good that people like yourself share your Families War stories so that it is passed on forever and that we never forget them. Thank you for sharing your stories with us, i look forward to reading more.

6. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- New Member

via War44
    Welcome here, hope you have a good stay here! :thumb:

Best Regards,

Sebastiaan