Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Patton's 3rd Armored Division

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Bergman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bergman

Bergman Member

Hi everyone.

I am working on our Family History and found out today that my Grandpa..

Walter Bergman was a member of Patton's 3rd armor Division and that he was injured at the battle of the Bulge.. any addition info or direction to verify or get more info would be very helpful .. thanks.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Bergamn,

I corrected your thread title, suibstituting a 3 for the # you had typed.

I think you may be in error. During the Battle of the Bulge, the US 3rd Armored Division was on the north shoulder of the bulge, while Patton commanded units in the south, which was the US Third Army.

Could you have meant that your grandfather was part of the Third Army or another armored unit that was part of the 3rd Army?

Do you have photos showing the unit patch on his left shoulder or copies of documents from then that you could post? If it is an amored patch, it will have to be good resolution, since all armored patches looked mostly the same.

3. Bergman

Bergman Member

I am sorry the only info I was given is what I provided. THat he was a part of Patton's Third Armor Division and he was injured during his service. My father said it was during the buldge but will try and find out more info.

4. Slipdigit

I'll bet that the information should have been Patton's Third Army, not armored division, as Patton never directly commanded a division during the war. He started out as the CO of II Corps in North Africa and eventually (after some twists and turns) ended up commanding the 3rd Army in the breakout from Normandy until the end of the war, 9 months later.

If it was Third Army, we'll need far more information, as there were large number of individual units that were at various times, members of the 3rd Army. See what you can find out and get back to us, we'd like to help.

5. Bergman

Bergman Member

I just spoke to my uncle and Walter Bergman was a member of Pattons Third Army. So not sure where to go from there to get more info. Any suggestions

thanks

6. Owen

Owen O

Any photos of him you could post?

7. Bergman

Bergman Member

I do not have any of him in the army. I have asked for my dad and uncle to look and see if they have any.

8. Bergman

Bergman Member

well I got some info. I was emailed from someone saying
    Gen Rose was his CO, and he served under Gen Hodges of the 1st Army.
    This would make sense. of where i got the info of 3rd armor Division. I got this from the internet:

It was the First Army that made the longest armored march in history in a single day during the smash from the Rhine, a feat accomplished by the late Maj. Gen. Maurice Rose, Commander of the 3rd Armored Division.

9. Slipdigit

3rd Armored Division. Well known division and divisional commander. Rose was killed in action late in the war, after the 3rd AD had crossed the Rhine river.

Best advice is to Google the "Third Armored Division", "3rd Armored Division" and "Gen Maurice Rose" and you will find a wealth of information. You can google "First Army" and "Courtney Hodges" if you want, but you will probably find the some of the same info and you will have more detail looking at 3rd Armored pages.

I could go and find a few pages for you but you will find more info if you look yourself and follow links on the various pages.

Also search these battles.
    Normandy
    St Lo
    Operation Cobra
    Falaise Gap
    Battle of Hurtgen Forest
    Battle of the Bulge
    St Vith
    Rhineland Campaign

10. DennisS

DennisS New Member

Do you recognize this insignia? It is my wife's uncle who was in a tank division in Europe. This photo was taken in Luxemburg in 1945. It appears to be a Third Army patch but I'm not sure. None of the family have any information on the uncle. He died of cancer in 1969 at 46 years old.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  11. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Yes, Third Army.

Slipdigit likes this.
  12. Wayne Bergman

Wayne Bergman New Member

I know this is an older thread. But, I more information on my Granddad that may help if anyone could maybe point me in the right direction.

Service #33810215 He served from Feb 1, 1944-Oct 1945 He was in Foreign Service from July 14, 1944 0 June 1945. He also was injured and spent time I was told at a hospital in France. I requested information from the archives but it's been 7 months with no response.

His Name: Walter Bergman
    I have been told he was a Tank Driver.

Thanks in advance
    You can also email me at: wrbergman.online@gmail.com

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. Wayne Bergman

Wayne Bergman New Member

UPDATE:

I have been able to verify that my grandfather was an infantry man in the 4th Armored Division Company A 53rd Infantry Battalion. He was in Bastogne. In Dec/Jan and in the begining of January was injured and released to duty with the 110 Evac Hospital. I am currently studying the time line of this and hope to dig up more.

(Information above is from the Morning Reports.

Wsynr Bergman

WILD DUKW and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  14. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

LRusso216 likes this.
  15. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Damn Tommy. I was just reading the CARL report and was going to post it when I realized you had already done it. Rats!

16. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

My motto is post first, read later. :D I can't let you beat me to it ALL the time, Lou.