Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

PDWs In Modern CQB

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by dave phpbb3, Dec 5, 2006.

1. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Seeing as most major hostage rescue forces still use the H&K MP5 (of course in different variations). I was wondering would the use of a PDW such as the MP7 and P90 be a bad idea seeing as the idea is to penetrate body armour, but in theory would this be dangerous on a "soft" target because of over penetration?
    So in short would a PDW be usable in a hostage rescue situation?
    Or would the MP5 last for awhile longer (though some SAS from the Embassy did mention that they couldn't fire upon one hostage taker for a high hisk of over penetration)
    Or would something more like a .40 MP5 be a better option?

2. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Logistic there play primary part.If kidnaper/terrorist does not hawe body armor,they will probably use weapons with less pnetrationg and bigger stopage power,if they do,they they will use AP rounds.Again,they r trained 2 do mostly headshots,and thy fire from close range.MP5 is highly accurate weapon,that why SWAT teams ower the world prefer it.

3. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The head is much to small target to hit consistenly especially with a SMG(Even if it is an MP5) It would almost be impossible to tell if the hostage taker has body armour or not, they usually don't divulge that information to the "enemy" To my knowledge SWAT is mainly an American idea, over here in Britain we have similar teams but with slightly different trainin and equipment or we just have the SAS. The MP5 is a good weapon I know this already and it has stood the test of time but my question is would PDWs ever replace it or are they too risky to use.

4. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Here wo got SAJ,but it is basicly the same (anti-terrorist).No terrorist can hide,they allways plant microcameras 2 see what/how many terrorist r inside and plan the attack.Trust me,flack west is easy 2 notice.
    And answer for ur question is i dont know,but i doubt :D

5. Tony Williams

Tony Williams Member

via TanksinWW2
    PDW ammo like the 5.7x28 FN and 4.6x30 HK actually penetrate less than 9x19 ball rounds, because they tumble on penetrating the body. They are designed to stay within the body, not pass through. Which doesn't mean that they won't pass though in some circumstances...

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

6. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    So the idea is to merely pass body armour but stop within the human body. If this is the case then why havent Hostage Rescue Teams and Counter Terroitst teams taken one of the other up if it has a less chance of over pentration? or is it simply lack of funding?

7. Tony Williams

Tony Williams Member

via TanksinWW2
    It's difficult to be sure who has what. I know the US Secret Service (the Presidential Guard) has the 5.7 P90.

Having said that, on many gun forums you will find heated debates about the 5.7mm ammo, with many rubbishing its effectiveness. IMO it's too early to judge that, and it does of course depend on what you're comparing it with. The P90 is much the same weight as a 5.56mm M4 Carbine (although it's a lot more compact) which uses much more powerful ammo.

Non-military organisations can use much more effective hollow-point expanding ammo in 9mm calibre, which makes a bigger hole and is less likely to overpenetrate. I don't know how well that feeds in SMGs though. And of course it's no use against armour.

You might find THIS of interest. There's a pic from it below.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

[​IMG]

The photo below shows (from top to bottom) the 4.6x30 HK, 5.7x28 FN, 9x19 NATO and .45 ACP