Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pearl Harbor Day

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by LRusso216, Dec 6, 2013.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Since tomorrow is the anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor which caused to US to enter WW2, our local newspapers had some articles about it. I thought I would share them, especially because they highlight individuals.

Alex Horanzy was fast asleep that fateful Sunday morning. The Army private had just finished a week of combat training on the northern end of Oahu and slipped into bed at 2 a.m. at the Schofield Barracks.
    http://www.inquirer.com/front_page/20131206_Day_that_lives_in_infamy_also_lives_in_his_memory.html

The memories of Pearl Harbor still haunt Joe Desch, who was on the USS Helena when it was hit by a Japanese torpedo on Dec. 7, 1941.
    [​IMG]

http://www.theintell.com/news/communities/hamptons/pearl-harbor-still-haunts-warminster-veteran/article_2d4281cc-c8e6-596f-9fd2-d9e0e9a9c20e.html

A-58 and Slipdigit like this.
  2. Owen

Owen O

Already the 7th over here, (would have been my Dad's birthday too).
    I have a mate who's not really into WW2 at all but went to Pearl Harbor when on holiday few years ago , he met several Veterans & was very impressed by the memorials.
    He wears a Pearl Harbor pin on his work uniform still.

3. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I was in Japan a bare couple of days after Pearl Harbor Day two years ago. (Which, you might note, was a fairly round anniversary.) While I very much enjoyed my first brief visit to Japan it was a thought provoking experience.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

5. Sandwichery

Sandwichery Active Member

One of my customers (since deceased) had been aboard the California during the attack. When she was abandoned he swam to Ford Island and never left. He spent the entire war there. He always thought that it was a little ironic that the survivors are now considered heroes because whenever he met new arrivals on Ford Island during the war he never mentioned that he had been there on the 7th. He had learned early on that the new guys on the block often felt that the Hawaiian forces had been "asleep at the switch" and had failed to do their job and they didn't hesitate to voice their opinion as to that fact.
    Since we just recognized the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination I thought that the story of Pearl Harbor survivor Jim Leavelle might be of interest to the members. He had been aboard the tender Whitney during the attack and 22 years later would become a footnote in the assassination's aftermath. In the photo of Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald, Leavelle is the officer dressed in white with the white hat who is at Oswald's side. He said he saw the gun in Ruby's hand and had tried to pull Oswald out of the way. He always wondered what would have happened if he had pushed instead of pulled.

6. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

^Takao,

Thank you. Those were indeed interesting reading.

^Sanwichery,

That's WAY too close for comfort. Twice.

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Never Forget

8. LRusso216

Good to remember. Just saw a news report that there are only five veterans from Pearl Harbor left. Expected, since it was 77 years ago, but sad nonetheless.

9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A-58 likes this.
  10. OpanaPointer

This was the first year no veteran of Arizona could make it to the ceremonies at Pearl. A couple of years back the Pearl Harbor History Association received the archives of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association. Tempus fugit.

11. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

A remarkably little talked about event outside of a history class in today's day in age.........Never forget.....

12. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Correction Lou: to my knowledge there are 5 veterans from the USS Arizona left, not Pearl Harbour veterans as a whole

13. LRusso216

My mistake, Alan. I mis-heard what was said. In any case, the number of vets is small.

14. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Yes, a sad fact. Truth be told I was surprised to hear that there were 5 Arizona vets still with us. I had expected less.

15. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I just finished researching a sailor who died on the USS Houston (CL81) in Oct 1944. In doing so, I discovered that he had previously served on the USS Marblehead. The following is an excerpt from the War Diary of the USS Marblehead dated 8 Dec 1941:

At 0315, the following message was received from the Commander in Charge of the Asiatic Fleet: “JAPAN STARTED HOSTILITIES, GOVERN YOURSELVES ACCORDINGLY.” At 0348 on 08 Dec, the following message was received from the Secretary of the Navy: “EXECUTE WPL FORTY-SIX AGAINST JAPAN.”​

At the time, the USS Marblehead was at Tarakan, Borneo. In my research I also came across a blog post from Hampton Roads Naval Museum which contained the following image:

[​IMG]

I presume that the USS Marblehead had received a similar message as indicated in the above War Diary entry.

16. OpanaPointer

It went out to ALNAV, (everybody, basically.) The plan is here: RAINBOW-5 (WPL-46 is the Navy part of Rainbow-5 in the Pacific.)