Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Personal Story from a POW 131st Field Artillery

Discussion in 'Military History' started by PShelton, Mar 1, 2009.

1. PShelton

PShelton Member

I wrote several letters to the guys my dad served with. I recieved this letter and it explained several things for me. My dad brought back a set of domineos he carved out of fish heads while working at the coal mines on Nagazaki. I was trying to document them. I recieved a very interesting letter from Rufus and wanted to share it with you.

Pat Shelton Blankenship
    Daughter of Archie Shelton
    131st Field Artillery...Battery E

September 29,2003
    Ms. Pat Blankenship

Rufus R. Choate
    Dallas, Texas - 75224 - 3137

Dear Pat,
    As I mentioned in my Email to you last week, I will give you as much information about your dad, Archie Shelton, that I can recall.
    For background, the 131srt Field Artillery was a unit in the Texas National Guard and Battery E was stationed in Abilene, Texas. Abilene is my home town and I joined the Guard while I was still in high school. The Texas National Guard was called to active duty November 25, 1940 and we moved to Camp Bowie at Brownwood, Texas in January 1941 even though the camp was not completely finished. We had some vacancies and they were filled with men from the draft (selective service). Most of these men had volunteered. I have an old roster of Battery E dated in February of 1941 and Archie Shelton is on that roaster. So your dad joined up with us either in late January of early February of 1941 when he was sent to Camp Bowie.
    We trained at Camp Bowie until August when we went to Louisiana for maneuvers. We were in Louisiana for two months. At the end of September we were back to Camp Bowie where we received orders to pack for a move to Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. Before we could get packed the orders were changed to prepare to go overseas. We did not know where but the rumor had us going to the Philippians Islands to reinforce the troops there. The Second battalion of the 131st Field Artillery left Camp Bowie with a lot of new faces as the men who were married or had dependents were allowed to transfer to other units and replacements for them came from other units.
    We went by train to San Francisco where we spent about a week and the day after Thanksgiving we sailed on the Army transport USS Republic. We arrived at the Hawaiian Islands on the last day of November and were allowed to go ashore for about 4 hours. We sailed the next morning in a convoy of about eight ships and a navy Cruiser. The war started about one week after we left Hawaii and were somewhere between Hawaii and the Philippine Islands. The convoy turned south and we stopped at the Fiji islands for about one day then on to Brisbane, Australia where the ship was unloaded. We spent Christmas week in Brisbane then we were loaded onto another ship and left Brisbane with two US Cruisers and six US Destroyers. I suppose we were on our way to the Philippine Islands but we were dropped off at Sourabaja, Java of the Dutch East Indies because of a large Japanese fleet was heading our way. We were sent to a Dutch Army camp in the mountains about 60 miles from Sourabaja. When we arrived there we were assigned to work as the ground crew for a Bomb Group that had evacuated the Philippine Islands and could not bring their ground crew with them. The Japanese bombed our camp and the airfield several times and strafed it with fighter planes one. We lost several B 17 Bombers that day and had some men hurt by machine gun fire. The Air Force then evacuated back to Australia and we were left to help defend the island of Java. We saw action for about 2 days defending Sourabaja before the Dutch Government surrendered all of the forces on the Island.
    After we became POWs of the Japanese we were kept in Camps in Sourabaja and had to go out on work parties doing all sorts of work. The food was bad and very little in quantity. All of our men started losing weight. This was in March 1942. Around' September the Japs starting moving us. We went by train to Batavia where we found the rest of the Battalion., Battery E was the only group that stayed behind with

the Air Force so we were moved as a unit separately from the rest of the Second Battalion. After staying in Batavia for a few days we were put aboard a small coal burning Japanese freighter. We were put down in the hold of the ship where they had been transporting horses. The conditions were terrible and some of the men developed dysentery. We arrived in Singapore after about a week. We had to put some of our

men in the hospital there. Some of the men that we left in the hospital at the camp in Singapore were sent to work on the railroad to Burma. We lost several of our men who died working on that railroad.

The living conditions were very bad at Singapore. We lived on the bare ground and the rations were very small. We had to go out on some work parties but I do not remember the work there being very hard. I think we were there about 2 months and then we were put on board a Japanese passenger liner. This was a very nice ship even though we were sleeping on the deck. We arrived at Nagasaki, Japan on December 7, 1942, exactly one year from the day the wars started for us. Since we had been in the tropics for a long time, the weather there seemed awful cold to us. Also there was no heat in our building.
    Here we were taken by ferry to a small island out in the bay of Nagasaki that was about 7 miles from the center of Nagasaki. This was where we spent the next 2 1/2 years. The camp was known as Fukuoka NO.2. This camp was good compared to other POW camps in Japan. The building had been built by the Japanese ship building company to house the POWs that were to work in their shipyard. The building was stucco outside with cement floors. We were put in rooms about 50 feet long and 30 feet wide. There were 60 men to a room. The room had double sleeping platforms on each side with a row of tables and benches down the center of the room. This allowed each man about 3 feet wide by 7feet long sleeping (and living) space. The food was prepared in a central kitchen. It was very bad when we first arrived but improved somewhat after our people were assigned to work in the kitchen under one of our officers and a Japanese sergeant. The rations were always skimpy and all of the men lost a lot of weight. I weighed 155 Ibs when we were captured and went down to 98 Ibs. Archie and I were in Room 19, but he slept on the opposite side of the room and on the other end.
    Everyone worked at the shipyard doing various jobs building ships. I don't remember what job Archie was assigned to but he and I never worked on the same gang at the shipyard so we did not have much contact with each other. None of us had much time of our own and when we did have time we had to use that time to take care of our personal needs so we did not have time to visit very much. Most of the time visiting and talking was with the men around you or whom you worked with at the shipyard. This is where Archie built a violin (or fiddle). He would find parts at the dock yard and slip them into camp where he would work on making the violin. I thought that it would have been quite an accomplishment even if he had all the tools and resources available but how he did it there in the camp with nothing to work with was really a piece of work. I do not remember the dominoes but you had to keep everything like that hidden real well or you would be in big trouble if a guard were to catch you with something like that. Did Archie
    bring the violin home?
    In June of 1945 we were all moved to a coal mine camp that I think was Fukuoka No 9. It was on the north side of the same island as Nagasaki near a village called Oreo and another named Wakamasu. We had to work at different jobs there related to the coalmine. Some of our men had to go into the mine and work with the Japanese coal miners. That was very hard and dangerous work. Others worked on digging tunnels into the hills by digging and blasting with dynamite. This was also very dangerous. We lived in a barracks that had been used by Korean coal miners and their families. They were about 12 ft x 12 ft. We were at this camp when the war ended. We were told to stay in the camp but the Japanese guards were moved to the outside of the camp. For our protection, we were told. After about a week (while we rested and relaxed, the US Air Force started dropping food, cigarettes, clothing, medicine and anything else they could load onto the B 29 bombers. They would drop this by parachute and we would go out and recover everything and then have a feast. After a few days of this we began to leave the camp and go exploring.
    In early September a US Army recovery team arrived at this camp and started processing us for our return home. We left the coalmine camp by train which took us back to Nagasaki where US navy ships were docked. As we left the train at Nagasaki the first of us off the train at the head of the line were sent to a destroyer. I was in this group of about 20 or 30 men. I don't remember Archie being in the group with me. The next in line were sent to an aircraft carrier and some were put on a hospital ship. My group went to Okinawa and then by aircraft to the Philippine Islands where we stayed two weeks before boarding a troop ship for home. The group on the aircraft carrier went to the Phillipine Islands by sea and were about two weeks behind us. Battery E was scattered after that. My group went into Ft. Lewis, Washington and then by Hospital train to Ft. Sam Houston, (San Antonio) Texas. As we arrived on the west coast the men were sent to army posts near their homes in most cases. I know that some of our bunch went through San Francisco and then to Ft. Sam Houston. Everyone was given a furlough and I got home just before November 11, 1945. I don't remember if I saw Archie after we left Japan. Everyone was going his own

and anxious to get home. After all this time it is hard to get facts together sometimes. I returned to Ft. Sam Houston for medical exams and dental work and was discharged in May, 1946.
    The photo that is enclosed was made in Abilene in November 1945. The American Legion and VFW there gave us a welcome home celebration and all of the Battery E members that could make it attended. The man in the center is Everett Miller, who was a member of Battery E and a POW with us. He lived in Oklahoma City for a long time but he died a few years ago. The man across from Archie is Cecil Minshew who was a POW with us. Cecil lives in Perrin, Texas.
    He might be able to give you more information than I can about your father. His address is:
    Cecil T. Minshew
    I don't know who the man whose back is toward the camera but I think he was helping put on the welcome home party.
    The Certificate of Appreciation was given by the Dallas Chaptter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The lady in charge told me that they had tried to contact Archie but could not reach him. I tole her that I might be able to deliver the certificate to him. As I mentioned, I was not able to contact Archie to give it to him but I am glad to be able to send it to you.
    I wish that I could give you more information than I have. I remember you dad as being a quite, low profile type guy that did his job real well. Feel free to contact me, telephone, E-mail of letter and I will try to answer any questions that you might have. In the last Lost Battalion newsletter I noticed that mail had been returned from your mother and that they had no forwarding address. I wondered what had happened.
    Regards,
    (~
    Rufus Choate
    P. S. Most all of the guys in Battery E knew me as "Rosy" Choate. That was (and still is) my nickname.

I have several pictures my dad took while in Louisiana on maneuvers before they went overseas. Hope you enjoy this letter as much as I did.

von Poop and texson66 like this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Pat, thanks so much for posting the letter, I certainly appreciated reading it. Can you post the pictures? I would like to look at them if you are able to to.

3. PShelton

PShelton Member

I will have to scan them (the ones my dad took). I tried to put the picture on that Rufus sent me, but I think it is too big. It didn't work. If you know how let me know.

4. PShelton

PShelton Member

Slipdigit can you tell me how to post the pictures. I have all 26 scanned.
    Pat

5. TA152

TA152 Ace

Great story ! Thank you for posting it and I look foward to seeing the pictures.

6. texson66

texson66 Ace

Wow! I'm from Abilene, TX and wish I had met Rosy when I was growing up back then! Great letter!

7. PShelton

PShelton Member

I'm working on a Web Page now. I have it completed but can't upload it. Waiting on Tech Support to tell me how. On it I have lots of pictures. The letter from Rufus, the dominos, and will add more later.

8. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Thank you, Pat. I really enjoyed reading the letter. I look forward to seeing the rest when you are able to post.

9. Slipdigit

Rufus,

Here I am asking you to do something you did not have permissions to do yet. I have adjusted your account such that you upload pictures now.

There are two ways to upload pics.
    1. Go here Member Galleries - WWII Forums Gallery and upload your pics. When you are done uploading them, right click on the pic, and copy and paste the pic in your reply. This method will be easier if you open two instances of the forum on your PC at the same time.

2. Click on the Go Advanced button below, then click on the paperclip [​IMG] to open the upload page. This method will attach the pictures directly to your post. If get them there via this message, I can enlarge them for you.

Let me or one of the moderators know if you need further help.

10. PShelton

PShelton Member

11. Slipdigit

Yes, that sounds good.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Great stuff PS.
    can I take it you've heard of Gavan Daws's book 'Prisoners of the Japanese'?
    The 131st NG Field Artillery is the US unit that Daws follows through their captivity all the way to japan, focusing particularly on E & F battery.

(If anyone hasn't read it and is interested in a fine primer on the experience of captivity & abuse at the hands of the Japanese I'd heartily recommend this book.)

Cheers,
    Adam.

13. Slipdigit

I love the pic of the men shooting craps.:eek::D

JCF, you'll find interest in the field kitchen. I might put a link to that pic in your rations thread, or put a copy of the pic there.

14. PShelton

PShelton Member

Slipdigit,
    It still will not let me post more of the pictures. I posted 10 and still have 16 plus 4 or 5 of the dominos. I hope to have my web page up and running soon. I will have all of the pictures on it.
    Pat

CassandraW likes this.
  15. SGMasten

SGMasten recruit

Sgt. Cecil T. Minshew was my Grandfather, His Heart came to rest on October 4 2008 in Ft.Worth, Texas. He is buried just North of Garner, Texas at the Bethel Church Cemetery.
    I heard various Stories and even attended a few of the Reunions with Grandfather back in the Day. His Oral History is on file at the University of North Texas. He Was always Glad to visit with his friends from those days so long ago. I have several Photos of him after he returned from the War, He wanted to be a Barber like his Father, He ended up with a beauty shop on Fry St., Denton, Texas. Where he Studied Business and Education at what is now UNT. He went on to be a teacher at W.T. Francisco Elem. In Haltom City, Texas. He was also an Amateur Paleontologist on Sponges and such. He Always had a Garden, fished, and fed people he knew were struggling. This I Imagine is a result of the combination of Growing up in the Depression and being a POW. Like many of the boys he did seem to keep a stockpile of food, just in case.
    So Much he left out of the Oral History was only a small portion of the Stories he Told when I was growing up. Like the Guy Running for the forest/Jungle when the Japanese Aircraft showed up and running Smack into a tree (Knocking him Out) creasing his Helmet. The Guy Swore up and down a Japanese bullet creased his Helmet. I miss my Grandfather, and his stories.
    I was closer in Age to my aunt and uncle than to any of my Cousins, My Grandparents helped my mother a lot in raising me. I grew up knowing my grandparents almost more than I knew my Mom. I even attended School with My Grandfather across the hall in a different classroom for a year. My Photos are on My Facebook page Stephen G. Masten.

CassandraW likes this.
  16. SGMasten

SGMasten recruit

Are there any Members of E battery, 2nd Batt. 131st F. A. 36th ID WW2 Are there any members still Living?

CassandraW likes this.
  17. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Thank you for great posts!

18. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

19. CassandraW

CassandraW recruit

Re to PShelton and SGMasten:

Hello both, I know this thread originated a few years ago, but I wanted to say thanks to Pat for posting! And to SGMasten, Rufus Choate is my great uncle on my mother's side and he is still alive and kicking in Dallas. I don't see him often but I'd love to just sit down with him one day and have him tell me all his stories about the war, especially after reading this post.

I was wondering if you would be able to re-post the photos you had uploaded as the link that is there now doesn't seem to work :\ Or if you still have them and would be willing to email them to me I'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks!
    CassandraW

20. 36thID

36thID Member

How did I miss this post ?

CassandraW.... Your great uncle and my uncle trained together. From Camp Bowie through the Louisiana Maneuvers. They may have known each other because they were both in artillery training.

The famous 2nd Battalion, 131st FA had a hard luck draw. After the maneuvers, they were detached from the 36th.They were sent to defend the Philippines, but due to the rapid changes at the time, ended up on Java. They were taken captive with the British, Dutch, and Australian forces.

Your uncle, Mr Choate, is a living legend. There are so few of these brave men left. I can't tell you how amazing this is.

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/lostbattalion/index.htm

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/lostbattalion/stats.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Railway

I don't see you as a member on the 36th site..... PShelton posted a few questions about your uncle back in 2009.

I strongly urge you to contact the 36th ID Association: http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/....

Lisa is the administrator there at http://indybaby.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.yuku.com/

Just let them know about your uncle. He deserves to have his oral history told. Someone dropped the ball if they have not taken it by now. If not there, someone here would do it.

Steve

CassandraW likes this.