Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Philippine Guerilla Leaders

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by Falcon Jun, Apr 15, 2008.

1. apacedera

apacedera recruit

I am Annabelle Paredes Acedera writing on behalf of my father Pablo G Paredes, PMA Class '44

Pablo Paredes has made a claim to the filipino veterans equity compensation. My father already submitted to the Veterans Affairs (VA) Office the documents he got from OTAG, Phil Army, that indicated he was a member of the Leyte Area Command. However, he got a communication from the VA Office stating that there is no evidence that he served in a guerilla unit per verification from the National Personnel Records Center at St. Louis Missouri. How can this be resolved and what steps should be taken to recrify this. I read that there was a fire in 1973 at the NPRC; would this be contributory to his having no record with said office?

Pablo Paredes is now 87 years old, not in good physical condition and with failing eyesight but is determined to pursue his claim for the Filipino Veterans Compensation.

Please help. Thank you.

2. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

If your father is not in the Missouri list, it's highly probable he won't be accepted by US authorities. I'm sorry but from what I know, the Missouri list the be all and end all when it comes to recognizing Filipino guerillas. This was intended to weed out those who might pretend to be guerillas and claim compensation. However, it is known that in the Philippine government list, the number of living guerillas is about twice more than those listed in the Missouri list. How this discrepancy would be settled, I don't know.
    The only thing I can suggest is to contact a reputable expert in Veterans Affairs. I am certainly not an expert.

3. Jess Oria

Jess Oria recruit

Hello to all,

During WWII, I was living in the Philippines and served with the Hunters ROTC guerrillas under Terry Magtangol Adevoso and some of the guys I was there with were Rody Reyes, Ocampo (Camp was, if I remember correctly, was his nickname) and De Guia and a guy with white hair - we addressed him as Major Monfort. At the time we were in the Batangas in the vicinity of Nasugbu. Gustavo Ingles ( I don't even know if he remembers me) was one of the higher ups in the organization. We knew him as Tabo. As far as I can remember, I was the only "mestizo" in the group.

I saw on the Internet that he has written a book so I'm going to our local library and see if they have it. Im sure it will make for very interesting reading!

Take care y'all and God bless !!

Jess Oria

4. cdrwest

cdrwest recruit

Does any moderator/reader/correspondent know of an American guerrilla active on Luzon in the 1941-44 period named "Ernest Johnson"? I've seen a brief reference to an "Eduardo Joson" which may or may not be a nom de guerre and who may or may not be this individual. The record otherwise seems silent.

The reference comes from a series of first-person interviews of the (last) South Manila District Kempei commanding officer, Major Takeshi Tohei, IJA, conducted by LT Stunkard, the US Army medical officer at Sugamo Prison in Tokyo in 1945-46. Tohei claimed to have ordered the summary execution of the "most famous" American "Ernest Johnson" following his capture on Luzon after a three-year manhunt.

I'd appreciate any help available. Thank you.

5. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

At the NARA, College Park, MD, on 25 September, I found a photo of
    SGT. Jose Calugas, Philippine Scout, at the ceremony at which he
    was awarded the MOH for gallantry on Bataan (205900).

I also found a photo of Igoirot women employed by the 32nd Infantry
    Division to carry supplies in northern Luzon (205880). The date of
    the photo is 20 March 1945.

Dave

6. zee61

zee61 recruit

Looking to interview Filipino guerrillas who supported Alamo Scouts ops on Leyte or Luzon for an oral history. Drop me a line. Thanks, Lance

7. claire_mo

claire_mo recruit

Hello Everyone,

I am Claire Camba-Morales from Olongapo City, Philippines presently residing here in El Paso,TX (near Ft. Bliss).I'm married with an active-duty army.I want to extend to all 'Who Served and Who Still Serves' my 'Salute'.

Thank you for giving this educational and helpful history and messages.I loved to hear about 'Perlas ng Silanganan'.Please keep posting.

God Be With US!

8. L Perry

L Perry recruit

Dear WW2 Philippine Guerilla's

I am looking for any who served in the LAC-Leyte Area Command under Col. Roberto Kangeleon's 92nd or 94th re-organized units or his other officers in District 9 in one of the Leyte,Tacloban,Abuyog Brigades. Also any who served under Alejandero Balderian, or Major Gen.Pedro Gallego,or a Brigade Commander named Catalino Landia. Both are former Mayor's of Abuyog,Leyte and served under Commander Kangleon.

I am collecting infomation on those in LAC who have not received a pension or funds from the Recovery Act of 2009, $15,000 or $9,000.00 allocated for compensation or information on those who have?

Your support will be used in an effort to get the President of the United States to create an Executive Order to require the NPRC in St. Louis to abide by HR1 and stop requiring Filipino Veterans to be on a roster as proof they served under a US Command and to convince the new conservative US Congress to continue to fund Filipino Equity with full rights on further compensation.

Your response is appreciated.

9. L Perry

L Perry recruit

Have you found any from Leyte or who served under Col. Roberto Kangleon?

10. jackreach9845

jackreach9845 New Member

on may 1942 by the authority issued by capt. nakar co 14th inf. cagayan valley and mallig region including eastern mt. province and kalinga was the area of operations of A co. 14th inf wich was organized in the said area, to harrass enemy troops along hwy 5. wiped out suerte jap garrison in gamu, isabela. became 1st bn 14th inf jan. 1 1943 continued harrassing japs until aug. 13 1943 when the c.o. was captured in natonin, bontoc, mt. province. the 14th still operated in the area until liberation 1945.

11. CAW1

CAW1 Member

Great stuff. Filipino Guerilla groups and American Forces joined forces against the Japanese from 3 February - 3 March 1945

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2973493/American-survivors-remember-horrors-month-long-Battle-Manila-70-years-paying-tribute-100-000-civilians-killed-Japanese.html#ixzz4cHlHkohd
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

1944- Filipino guerrillas under Capt. Jesus Olmedo come out of the hills
    and into a 7th Division command post for conference with
    Maj. Gen. A.V. Arnold.

FilipinoGuerillas.jpg

This guy, along with other regular 1st Cavalry troopers, fought in concert with Hunters ROTC guerillas and other guerilla forces at Manila and Antipolo in Feb/Mar. 45'.

PFC Jeston C. Whittington
    PFC Jeston C. Whittington(ASN: 34596505), United States Army, 1st Cavalry Division, 82nd FAB Batt.A
    Filipino Guerilla Groups.
    http://www.ww2f.com/threads/books-on-occupation.68891/#post-806712

filipino guerrillas warfare and 1st cav arnold - Google Search

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017