Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

photos and such from my Grandfathers POW days

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by fatinma, Feb 21, 2010.

1. fatinma

fatinma Member

These were given to me years ago by my grandfather, a paratrooper in the US Army who was taken prisoner, and liberated sometime in '45.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bigfun, C.Evans, sunny971 and 5 others like this.
  2. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Very nice grouping of your grandfathers war service. You should get those documents protected like clear plastic sheets. Do you know the story behind his capture? Thanks for sharing your family history.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

thanks for posting, Fantinma. Please tell us more of your grandfather. What was his name?

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome Fantinma. I enjoyed the pictures. I'll echo Jeff. Please tell us more about your grandfather and his service.

5. fatinma

fatinma Member

I don't know too much about this history of his service, as growing up, I was told by my father that he never liked talking about it all that much.

I do know that he enlisted in the army at a young age, and was proud to be a paratrooper, earning his wings.

He was a POW in what looks to be Stal. XII-A, IV-B, III-B and III-A, liberated on April 22nd by the Russians. I do not know if he left the camp on that day, or that was just the day he considered himself free.

He is still alive, but ill. We are hopeful that he will be around in May when my wife and I expect our first son to be born, passing along the family name.

6. 107thcav

107thcav Member

A great tribute passing along his name. How old was he when he enlisted? Does he have any veteran friends whom he might of told his story to? You have such a nice grouping of his items it would be even better to get more of a story with them. Do you have his discharge papers? Here is a link to Stalag XIIA you might be able to piece his journey from camp to camp.
    Stalag XIIA

7. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Just a comment If his still Alive why not give him a Call and explain you want to know about his service to keep his memory alive so his Grand children know of the sacrifices he made. I talked to many Vets from my Regiment Not many left many never wanted to talk much about it But I explained to them on the importance and why and many opened Up might take sometime but once they open up It will be worth all your Effort, I can assure you of that.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great stuff from your Grandfather. Hopefully he will tell you all some stories to remember. I couldn't give ya a :salute: but 34 reps insteaad.

9. fatinma

fatinma Member

Found out today that my grandfather was in the 82 Airborne, 505 infantry regiment.

If you notice in the above photos, there is polish currency with signatures on it. I googled their names and contacted one of the daughters of the men who was a POW with my grandfather. Her father is alive and well, and I will be calling him sometime tomorrow. She informed me that he would love to hear from me.

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

That's pretty incredible. Please let us know the results of your call.

11. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Thanks so much for sharing the photos and his story! I would love to read more, if you are willing to share!
    Thanks!

12. fatinma

fatinma Member

Wow! I spoke to Daniel this evening for about 20 minutes and he was so excited to hear from me. He briefly spoke about his escape from prison and how it has taken him a long time, but he finally started talking about his experiences from the war. We exchanged information, and I told him that I gave my Grandfather his number as well, and he is really looking forward to hearing from him.

To speak with him and hear his voice; someone who was right there with my grandfather enduring something I will never be able to imagine, was just amazing.

13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Excellent. Tell him there are several thousand people that would like to know more about his great service.