Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pics : sFH 18 15cm Bulge veteran

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by Martin Bull, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Found these among some old photos. Another of my favourite Battle of the Bulge relics - I'd wanted to visit it ever since seeing a photo of it in Pallud's book captioned 'Sitting silently at Cherain'.

And indeed it does - Cherain is a tiny hamlet between Houffalize and Vielsalm and I had a job finding it driving alone in 1987.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As can be seen, the weather that day was 100% typical of the Ardennes - low cloud and steady drizzle ! :rolleyes:

I've been back to this relic a few times since ; last time it had been 'tidied up' but the characteristic solid tyres had been badly damaged ; whether by the elements or by 'souvenir hunters' I don't know....

Anyhow, it's a real veteran of the Bulge and would certainly have made its' voice heard back then........

PzJgr likes this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great pics, Martin! Thanx for sharing these!

3. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Indeed, some nice detailed shots. Good stuff.

I do also like how you can get an idea of the weather/atmosphere in the area.

The holes on the frame and recuperator... look like weather or battle damage?

:cheers:

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The holes are most certainly shell fragments from 'near misses' ; very likely US counter-battery fire.