Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pics : Vimoutiers Militaria Fair

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Martin Bull, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

My French holiday coincided ( what a coincidence ! ) with the Falaise Gap commemorations and also a Militaria Fair in Vimoutiers. Everything in my travel plans slotted in nicely, even finding a hotel room in Vimoutiers itself.

Whenever I arrive in France, the latest copy of 'Militaria' magazine is my first purchase and there it was in the Diary...

[​IMG]

The hotel was literally three minutes' walk from the venue, so as always with Continental fairs, I was up very early ! An encouraging sign in the town square......

[​IMG]

And there's the usual queue of hardy enthusiasts, with food stall being set up. I just love the atmosphere of the Continental fairs, which somehow just doesn't happen in the UK......

[​IMG]

To add to the scene, a Steyr 1500 is parked opposite...

[​IMG]

And in we go. It's a small fair with only 35 stalls, and I now have most of the German equipment that I want for my collection. But, having bought a KwK42 shellcase at War & peace, I was maybe hoping for a little something 'Panther'. You never know. There's lots of German kit, but really nothing for me.

[​IMG]

I walk all round the stalls, but nothing. Then I look back to the entrance and there's a small table with a few 'bits', and a long wooden box underneath. I walk briskly down the hall, close the boxlid to see 'Kwk42'. WOW ! I have GOT to have this. It's damaged, full of woodworm holes and inside, masses of old cobwebs and dead insects. But all the stencils and labels are there. 30 Euros - done !

[​IMG]

I'm so pleased I that I take a picture...

[​IMG]

Normandy author Didier Lodieu is there, signing books. I have several of his books so introduce myself - a really nice guy. I wish I'd had much more time to speak to him.......he sees my box and exclaims that he'd already looked at it. He knows the stallholder and tells me the box is a genuine Falaise Gap relic - found recently on a local farm. I'm even happier ! I buy one of M. Lodieu's books which he inscribes for me....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Wife is waiting outside and exclaims with horror when she sees my 'treasure' - how will it fit in the car !?

( It does - across the back seat )

And off we go to the Loire Valley....but of course, there's always just time to stop at Vimoutiers' most legendary tourist attraction.....

[​IMG]

I've had a really good day - and it's still only 09:30 !

USMCPrice, TD-Tommy776 and belasar like this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Nice Martin!

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It's amazing how all of that just fell together by coincidence! It makes one wonder if perhaps the universe isn't all randomness and chaos as science would have us believe? Perhaps there really is some guiding Field Marshal at the center of it all, dispensing rewards to one, friendly fire to another, and trench foot to everyone else.

Or, it could be google...

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

You are the man, Martin. Great stuff.

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Yep - Google has a lot to answer for ! And a tolerant Wife.......

Anyhow, in less than a day I was able to take the Bourgtheroulde 'Then & Now' photo, visit the St Ormel Memorial to see the Panther & Sherman, enjoy coffee at the Mont Ormel Cafe,rummage for relics under a Corridor hedgerow, visit the Vimoutiers Fair and photograph the Tiger.

That's why France is my ideal holiday destination ! :dance4:

FalkeEins and KodiakBeer like this.