Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pics : WW1 Trench System....

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Martin Bull, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

...but not on the Western Front ! ;)

Just goes to show that you never know what you're going to stumble across on a walk in the country....my wife and I were enjoying the Spring weather in the Chiltern Hills near London today when we came across something which will be familiar to anyone who has visited Mametz Wood or Beaumont-Hamel on the Somme : -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This area ( on Whiteleaf Hill near Princes Risborough ) has recently been cleared of undergrowth - a nearby information board states that this length of long-forgotten trenchwork was dug by locally-based British soldiers as practice prior to being sent to the Western Front ( the chalky ground here is very similar to that of the Somme ).

Although now largely infilled with nearly a hundred years of leaves and soil, the trenches were originally full-depth, with traverses and fire-steps.

Quite a bizarre relic......

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Nice find, Martin. More and more of these practice systems seem to be coming to light in Britain.

3. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

Very earie and spooky, but also interesting and knowleagable ww1 stuff. Great pics.

4. TA152

TA152 Ace

Martin you have a knack for finding stuff like that. I think you missed your calling !

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

My wife really thought we'd have a nice peaceful walk with no possibility of any Military-themed distractions ; we hadn't walked 250 yards from the car when I shouted 'Look at this !' and started lining up camera angles...

...she wasn't amused ! ;)

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Martin, you need to promise your other half a day in the park mate..

Take her to the cafe in Abington park Northampton....sunshine...sit outside at the picnic tables....take in the ambiance....bottle of wine even....they have a licence....

Whats that mound over there my love...I'm just going to take a pic if you dont mind...thats right..stand on top of the hill darling....And thats apparantly a ww1 tank buried underneath...How was I to know dear....smile...

7. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Excellent pics Martin... Any of the past to compare to?

8. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

They seldom are............lol

9. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Martin -- You need to be more subtle. Tell you wife that you think the the trenches would make a lovely background to a photo of the two of you and then set your camera up with a timer so that you have time to get into the photo. Just make sure you also set up the shot so that the camera misses you and your wife!

10. fast1

fast1 Member

Nice pictures and stories, I hope someday my wife and me have time to visit that place. Thanks for sharing :)

[​IMG]

11. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Here is a good one for you Martin, Hill 60 near Sheffield where (amongst others) 12th "City" Battallion the Yorks and Lancs Regiment (the Sheffield Pals) trained before being virtually wiped out at the Somme:

redmires road - Google Maps

Go east to the top of the reservoir and there is a big road that hooks round to the east, the field that encloses has some interesting looking lines, may have a destinct resemblance to this:

[​IMG]

More on the Sheffield Pals:
    The Sheffield City Battalion
    Archaeology of Hill 60 at Redmires

GRW likes this.