Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pirates seize ship carrying tanks, ammo

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Za, I see your point. I am not saying any 'invades' Somalia per say, but rather patrols more frequent to these camps where they may reside. At least, the first step. But, by these countries paying off the ransoms, the pirates know they can get what they want.

2. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

What camps? We are talking of a dozen fisherman shacks that may not even be there next week. And to do that you have to land anyway, so...

3. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

They can't go far. I am sure they are close to their boats so they can immediately pursue what they see on the horizon....

4. Za Rodinu

You don't understand, even if you get to kill the dozen perps - and get away with the international outcry - two dozen will be ready to jump in their shoes! Like I told you, the World has tried to straighten Somalia, US to the fore, but at some point just walked away in disgust.

5. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

So it appears we have given up on these people, as you say, yet we are to continue to allow them these acts of piracy? What do you suggest because it appears you have shot down my last two ideas...

6. Za Rodinu

Sorry, Ghost, I didn't want to sound rude or looking like shooting you down for the sake of it. I agree to what you say, at least for law and order maintenance reasons, but there are all these objections. Nation-building has been tried in the recent past, but there is even less nation than in Afghanistan to build upon, so if you shoot up one group the others will applaud and then will resume plinking from the side.

The laest idea was to employ (and finance) surrogates, in this case the Ethiopians, and this worked after a fashion. However what this did was a change in the status quo, and this pirecy phenomenon grew up after and during the Ethiopian "occupation". There are also some African Union peacekeepers, but I wouldn't wager on which kind of peace they keep. What to do? Frankly, you tell me.

7. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

LOL - I don't know honestly. I was hoping our barbaric ideals would work. :)

Oh, no worries at all, my friend.

8. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

But they do have some pretty expensive 4x4's suddenly....Maybe they should lose their 4x4's somehow....

Blimey....If Im paying taxes for sattelites and drones with nuclear tipped poison neutron bomb thingys with pointed metal arrows on the end...Why cant they use them to take away their 4x4s....Or I want my money back...

9. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

...because they're built 'Ford tough'..... :D

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

We have discussed the "Q"-ship option before and I think most here agree that it might be effective :).

11. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Yeah, I mean, hell it's worth a try.... :D

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Better then just the ole "Catch and Release" stand some countries have LOL.

13. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

14. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

15. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Until it happens to one of our ships.... :rolleyes:

16. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Somalia backs U.S. plan to hunt pirates

Somalia's government has welcomed a call by the United States for countries to have U.N. authority to hunt down Somali pirates on land as well as pursue them off the coast of the Horn of Africa nation. Skip related content

[​IMG] Somali pirates stand in the dock inside a court of Kenya's coastal town of Mombasa Enlarge photo

A surge in piracy this year in the busy Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean off Somalia has driven up insurance costs, brought the gangs tens of millions of dollars in ransoms, and prompted foreign navies to rush to the area to protect shipping.
    Diplomats at the United Nations said the U.S. delegation there had circulated a draft resolution on piracy for the Security Council to vote on next week.
    A draft text seen by Reuters says countries with permission from Somalia's government "may take all necessary measures ashore in Somalia, including in its airspace" to capture those using Somali territory for piracy.
    "The government cordially welcomes the United Nations to fight pirates inland and (on) the Indian Ocean," said Hussein Mohamed Mohamud, spokesman for Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf.
    "We're also willing to give them a hand in case they need our assistance," Mohamud told Reuters in the capital Mogadishu.
    Somalia has seen continuous conflict since 1991 and its weak Western-backed government is still fighting Islamist insurgents. The chaos has helped fuel the explosion in piracy: there have been nearly 100 attacks in Somali waters this year, despite the presence of several foreign warships. The gunmen are holding about a dozen ships and nearly 300 crew.
    Among the captured vessels are a Saudi supertanker loaded with $100 million (67 million pounds) of crude oil, the Sirius Star, and a Ukrainian cargo ship carrying some 30 Soviet-era tanks, the MV Faina.
    Many of the pirates are based in Somalia's semi-autonomous northern region of Puntland. An official there said he was sceptical whether the international community would take action.
    "We are not happy because the United Nations never implements what they endorse," Abdulqadir Muse Yusuf, Puntland's assistant fisheries minister, told Reuters in Bosasso.
    "We urge them to fight the pirates on land and in our waters. We would also like them to empower our security forces so that we can participate in the global war on piracy too."
    There are already several international naval operations off Somalia, including a NATO anti-piracy mission. The European Union agreed on Monday to launch anti-piracy naval operations in the area, involving warships and aircraft.
    The U.N. special envoy to Somalia, Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, told an international meeting on piracy in Kenya on Thursday that the pirates were "threatening the very freedom and safety of maritime trade routes, affecting not only Somalia and the region, but also a large percentage of world trade."

Somalia backs U.S. plan to hunt pirates - Yahoo! News UK

17. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Report: Pirates, Ukrainains nearing deal

BOSASSO, Somalia, Dec. 14 (UPI) -- Negotiations between Somali pirates and the owners of a hijacked Ukrainian arms ship were nearing completion, a shipping industry analyst says.

The Russian Web site Sovfracht Maritime Bulletin says a final agreement between the pirates and the owners of the MV Faina, captured in September in the Gulf of Aden, could free the ship within the next two weeks, the German non-governmental organization Ecoterra International reported Sunday.
    The group cited Sovfracht saying, "an agreement has basically been reached, there are just some details that have to be ironed out," adding that it expected the ship and its crew to be freed in "the next two weeks or so."
    Ecoterra said other reports that the negotiations had been stalled for the last five days could not be confirmed.
    The group also noted Lloyd's of London has determined al-Qaida terrorists have formed a Gulf of Aden flotilla of 20 ships stationed in small harbors and island shelters in the Horn of Africa, as well as on islands in the Indonesian archipelago.
    The terrorists could carry out seaborne suicide bombings using ships packed with explosives and disguised as pirates, experts told Ecoterra.

Report: Pirates, Ukrainains nearing deal - UPI.com

18. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Cowards. Keep paying their ransoms and they'll keep hijacking your ships.... pffft.

19. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Well you have seen how well the Russian frigate has been in rescuing the ship. :rolleyes:

20. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

LOL - indeed. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.