Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pocket Pistol

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Slipdigit, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

Yes, .25s and .32s did indeed remain popular. Whether they were worth the money is another question. The .25 was a popular caliber for women, and for situations where ultra-smallness was required I suppose it was better than nothing. My character has one (a Beretta), partly for that reason and also because women often carried them and so her having one in her handbag might not cause comment. As for .32's, she has a Pocket Positive with a 2 1/2" bbl. in .32 S&W Long. That was the standard caliber for female officers on the NYPD in those days. (The boys who ran the force didn't think the ladies could handle anything bigger.) The Pocket Positive in that caliber wasn't bad if you had to have a .32; it was quite accurate, anyway. Still, she prefers at least a .38 S&W or .380 weapon for close defense. She's got the Colt Pocket Hammerless in .380. I don't know for certain how common foreign automatics like the PP and PPK were in this country at that time. They certainly weren't as common as they are now.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Lots of them came back after the war in GI duffle bags, and the various Berettas and Walthers were marketed and sold here before the war. Colt dominated the market for small autos so your character certainly won't raise an eyebrow for carrying one of those.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Umm, not that I'm looking at it or anything but ; Mauser model 1934 7.65 has a really good balance to it. I think it would be a fine sidearm for my better half.
    Simple gun and I think ample ammo available.
    Any thoughts suggestions?

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The problem with shooting a collectable is that if you break it, you'll have a hard time finding parts. The biggest problem is springs. Springs wear out and make the gun unreliable. Is there a source for recoil or mag springs?

5. Biak

I'll have to see about the parts availability. It looks like there are quite a few for sale on various sites.

Numrich carries springs; $5 - $10 bucks.

6. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Biak likes this.
  7. Biak

The mag "looks" newish, I'll have to do some research before 'pulling the trigger' !

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Swap the springs even if they look new, unless it's just going to be a range toy. I'd swap even if it's a toy. Springs are cheap and a weak recoil spring (in particular) increases the battering of the slide to frame when fired. So, even if it works you're putting unnecessary stress on a collectable gun.

9. Biak

Thanks for the advice. I'd most likely shoot it sparingly but would want it in the best shape possible. Decisions decisions.

10. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

I have an old Guns & Ammo article on the Mauser 1914. They --or rather Robert T. Shimek, the writer and tester--did not care for it at all. Shimek thought the ergonomics of the grip were poor--angle wrong, very small hands mandatory. The shooter's hand was too liable to stray into the path of the recoiling slide, the magazine release was a problem, and the sights gave a poor picture. The trigger break was also less than ideal. Shimek did not get as good accuracy with the 1914 as he usually did with .32 pocket pistols, though he found the pistol reliable. Of other WWII era pocket pistols judged in the same series, G&A gave much more positive verdicts on the PPK, the Mauser HSC, and the Astra 600.

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

12. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Just picked up a Springfield Armory XDS 4" .45 ACP, not really a pocket rocket, but it's smaller than it's big brother

13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Poppy hit me up via PM, wanting me to elaborate on my experience with my Ruger LCP .380

If it were the only handgun I could own, I would have gotten something else, but since I bought for a particular reason, which is to carry concealed under certain circumstances, I'll keep it.

It is a bear to hold while firing and kicks like a mule. I'd rather shoot my .45; my right hand sure does after firing a box or two. I can't hit small targets worth a crap with it, but have no trouble hitting something resembling a human torso, so it meets that criteria.

If I feel I need a handgun, I'd rather carry something else, but since there are times when something else just won't get past the whiners, I'm glad I have it nestled securely when a larger bodied weapon just wouldn't go unnoticed.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That painful slap in your palm is the blow-back operation I warned about on page one. Been there, done that, and will never go back. I will always opt for a locked/delayed breech pistol, in any size. Down here in the sunny environs of Arizona I carry my old Colt Mustang nearly all the time. Anything else is too large for tee shirt and jeans.