Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Polish Resistance Forces

Discussion in 'History of Poland during World War II' started by Reid1986, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Reid1986

Reid1986 New Member

via War44
    Many think of Poland in terms of the nation's part in serving example as the first nation to fall victim to the Nazi regime but Polish partisan resistance is especially worth noting.

The Armia Krajowa or "Home Army" became a group consisting of nationalists and sympathizers who were instrumental in gathering intelligence, disrupting German occupation and leading the way for many more organized resisters to form. Even within the ghettos of Warsaw and Lodz the Polish fought against the atrocities that they themselves had so brutally fallen victim to. Aside from these forces, Polish scientists and technicians were key toward cracking the German Enigma code (by Marian Rejewski who worked in the wilderness outside of Warsaw) and disclosing results to British and French Allies helping to gain further Allied intelligence and accelerate the work of covert spies behind enemy borders.

This would be a good place to discuss Polish resistance efforts and contributions of the nation toward the defeat of the Axis powers. It would be good to amass information about the heroic deeds of the country rather than dwell on the unfortunate nature of its crushing defeat beginning in October 1939.

2. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    Very interesting, and I couldn't agree more ! If I find anything on my travels along these lines then I will post it:thumb:

3. kjscrafts

kjscrafts New Member

via War44
    My grandfather fought in the Home Army and was captured by the Germans after the failed Warsaw Uprising to free the city before the Soviets did. I wish I knew more about his experience during the war, but he is not usually very open about that part of his life.