Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Polish Veteran Tops Greatest Spitfire Pilot Poll

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Sep 22, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Good to see someone different for a change.
    "A POLISH war hero is leading a public poll by the RAF Museum to identify the greatest ever Spitfire pilot.
    Franciszek Kornicki, 100, admitted he was “a little dazed” by the news that he was ahead of British fighter aces including Sir Douglas Bader in the People’s Spitfire Poll – and leading by more than 300,000 votes.
    Museum staff launched the online poll to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the RAF next year.
    Sergeant Kornicki, who is the last surviving Second World War Polish squadron commander, soared into the lead after a campaign in the Polish media.
    The pilot said: “I’m very surprised and even a little dazed by this news. I was only one of many and I knew quite a lot of better flyers than me.”
    Kornicki, like hundreds of other Polish pilots, retreated across Europe after the Nazis invaded in 1939.
    He arrived in Britain in 1940 and joined 303 Squadron, which was the highest-scoring fighter unit during the Battle of Britain.
    Less than three years later, aged 26, he was the youngest squadron commander in the Polish Air Force.
    He received Poland’s highest military decoration after leading British bombers over France and ordering an attack on Nazi planes flying towards them. "
    Polish war veteran tops RAF poll celebrating the greatest WW2 Spitfire pilots

lwd likes this.