Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Prinz Eugen

Discussion in 'Surface and Air Forces' started by Erich, Jun 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

they took the radio-active restrictions off for divers about 10 years ago, but do you really want to swim in those waters with the possibility of things falling off of you in later life ? :eek:

~E a little worried.....

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

You mean, like - hair and teeth, Erich ? ;) :D

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

keep going Martin......lower, lower ! :confused: :eek:

4. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Erich LOL I wouldn't dive there i know that much. Things falling off :eek:

5. KmPok

KmPok Member

One way to get a suntan under a wetsuit tho' :cool:

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

and once out of the water you'll have a permanent glow around you ! ....... ah sunglasses please...

~E

7. KmPok

KmPok Member

Well, my dentures glow already, so why not. :D

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

From my gute freudn Stevin; just received today :

Paul Schmalenbach's Kreuzer Prinz Eugen......unter 3 Flaggen bei Koehleer Verlag.

A classic written by the chief gunner offizier for the Schiffe: 1978, OOP but what a book ! just glanced through it quickly but this thing has everything U want to know about the ship including some rare archival stuff from Deutschland ! Maps, pics, some in colour, colour paintings; 240 pages chock full of godies including in the back flap a Fantastische- 1:200 schematics of the inerds of the ship on one side and on the other the ship with full armament anf 4cm fla ready to go in April/Mai 1945......unreal this thing could be matted and framed. Gorgeous.

Stevin this has made my month buddy !!!!!! yee haw :D

not to mention another incredible work on the Kriegsmarine Minen-schiffe and a slightly bizarre book on a pilot from NJG 101 and his thoughts of the war leading into captivity. Again all three have only been glanced at.

thumbs up Stevin ;) :D

~E

9. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hi Erich,

Glad they arrived!

Although certainly no KM buff, I did experience a "OEH! Sweet!" sensation, going through the Prinz Eugen book. It looks like a very well researched and documented book. The kind of thing I would want to know if I were into ships. The pics and diagrams look great. The TOGO book has some as well, but the Prinz Eugen book, well, did they include the ship's blueprints???? :eek:

I wish the 101 NJG book was about the guy's wartime career, but instead it seems to be about his captivity and his rather peculiar views of Americans and Russians. Don't think this will remain in my libary for long.... :confused: [​IMG]

Enjoy the books, Erich!!!

Stevin

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Oh I am friend ! :D

was searching through the Minen-schiffe buch late last night. Mynlovely wife had a twinkle in her eye as she was gazing and pondering about my vocal ooooooohhhhhhhs and aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhs.
    this book covers every Minen ship in the Kriegsmarine arsenal whether German or occupied and their fates. A great run down on the types of mines carried and mine placement maps for many of the ships. A very neat little package wrapped into one. Another Koehler Verlag classic !

The NJG 101 book really covers this cahps career after he became a ground soldier fighting on the ost front while manning a twin 2cm weapon. And then from there he seems wholehearteldy agsint the war just surving and as you said Stevin, much on captivity and the concentration camps.......well I need to read more to afffirm tht entirely

~E

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

It seems like a great book, Erich! I might get it some of this days... :D

By the way, now I'll have a little more time to finish my articles on the Prinz... :rolleyes:

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Fried, did you find any material(s) on the midget subs at Normandie yet ? Still going through this Prinz Eugen book. Fascinating pics and drawings. The history of the vessel is real brief though but some good maps enclosed. Whitley's book on the German crusiers has an excellent account.

A definite plus if you have other books covering the Kriegsmarine cruisers

~E~

13. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Erich, I can deliver some information about that to-morrow... I don't have my books at hand right now...

14. Steve L.

Steve L. recruit

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Time to revive this old threat!

On the Night of July 1st/2nd the Raf attacked the Prinz Eugen in Brest. They blew up an amno depot killing 60 of the crew.

Now Look what I have in my private collection! I owe the original picture and wanted to share it with you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

More info: The explosion that killed the 60 sailors was probably caused by the crash of Wellington IC R1342 OJ-B from 149 Squadron that fell right next to the Kreuzer. To be noticed : the crew of six was also buried at Brest Kerfautras.

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

excellent pic Skipper, congrats on that. the Wellington was shot down by ? the Kreuzers Flak or shore line most probably.

my avatar is actually a mockup of one of the 2cm Flakvierlings from the Prinz

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It's all brand new Erich, give me a little while to sudy this attack a bit more. I got the pictures by a pure coincidence afew days ago. I had no clue they were Prinz sailors until I made a 600dp scan and enlarged it. I also believe this aircraft (and another Wellington alos from 149 Squadron) was shot down by bord Flak , I need to check though. The other Welli was R1408 and crashed nearby Brest, at Plouzane. I will check for Luftwaffe claims too, you never know.

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx for sharing the pic and info, Skipper!

Skipper likes this.
  20. Liberator

Liberator Ace

Slightly conflicting reports

On the night of the 1/2 July 1941 an attack by 41 aircraft of Bomber Command took place in the course of which a direct hit was secured on the PRINZ EUGEN. The bomb struck the port side of the upper deck and in the fore part of the ship, pierced the armoured deck and exploded below. The switch room compartment, compass room and the transmitting station were destroyed together with 51 men killed and 32 wounded. The German estimate at the time was that it would take until the late autumn or winter of 1941 before the damage was made good and the ship seaworthy. Further attacks took place on the nights of 4 and 6 July by 80 and 101 aircraft respectively of Bomber Command but no further hits or damage were inflicted.

AIR 41/47.

Brest 1/2 July 1941

52 Wellingtons; good bombing claimed. 2 Wellingtons were lost on this raid and one of them is believed to have crashed alongside the PRINZ EUGEN. A bomb, possibly from the crashing Wellington, struck the PRINZ EUGEN, exploding inside the ship and causing serious damage. The executive officer and 60 other sailors were killed.

Bomber Command War Diaries - Middlebrook / Everitt.

Skipper likes this.