Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pterodactyl reported by American WWII vet .

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by sniper1946, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Pterodactyl reported by American WWII vet
    During World War II, an American soldier walked into a clearing near Finschhafen (New Guinea) with his buddy. Soon after entering the clearing, a wild pig (probably startled by the men) ran through the clearing and then a large “pterodactyl” took off into the air, probably startled by the pig. The veteran soldier, Duane Hodgkinson, now lives in Montana and has maintained, six decades later, that what they saw was a “pterodactyl.” Could that creature really have been a living pterodactyl? (The correct term is “pterosaur.”) Could those creatures be non-extinct?

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Probably a fruit bat. Here in Mt. our bats are small enough to fit into the palm of your hand at full wing extension. Fruit bats would be absolutely outside of his ken.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Clint's probably right, this was in the 348th narrative History:
    "Those members of the group who brought stalks of bananas and hung them beside their tents to ripen shortly made the acquaintance of the fierce looking, but harmless fruit bat with a body the size of a house cat and with wing span of as much as four feet."
    If I saw a bat with a four foot wingspan I'd most likely think it was something prehistoric. I'd also be thinking about changing my shorts :)

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

ha! ha!...:D:D

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Since he had likely never seen anything like a fruit bat, it isn't unlikely he thought a fruit bat could be something "prehistoric". He had likely actually seen "artist renditions" of the pterodactyl since Montana is "dinosaur heaven" for fossil finds.